Barkley: Shut Up and Jam for Jaguar - Help!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Barkley: Shut Up and Jam for Jaguar - Help!

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 28th, 2017, 3:24 pm

So I'm trying to review this cartridge and no matter what mode I select it seems like all four players are computer-controlled.
What am I doing wrong? Help!
The game was never officially released so there are no instructions.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Barkley: Shut Up and Jam for Jaguar - Help!

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 29th, 2017, 1:54 pm

I figured it out by reading this review:
http://www.ataritimes.com/index.php?ArticleIDX=368

When you pick a mode, there are options like demo, 1 minute quarter, etc.
I thought you have to choose one of those but instead you move the directional pad to alter them.
It's a bad user interface to say the least, but I'm glad I'll be able to review the game.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 31st, 2017, 7:04 am

I was gonna say that it sounded like you dodged a bullet, but too late.....now you will be punished for your persistence.

jon

Postby jon » February 2nd, 2017, 11:31 am

What I think is so unfair is how the Jag never got that second wave of games. It had literally a couple sequels or second generation games. There were so many games planned for the Jaguar (as well as the 3DO). Just think, if the PS3 got discontinued after its first generational titles, which were not earth shattering, it would have been considered a failure. But it gathered steam as the titles kept on getting cranked out over the years. That's what I think could have happened with the Jaguar.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » February 2nd, 2017, 8:41 pm

jon wrote:What I think is so unfair is how the Jag never got that second wave of games. It had literally a couple sequels or second generation games. There were so many games planned for the Jaguar (as well as the 3DO). Just think, if the PS3 got discontinued after its first generational titles, which were not earth shattering, it would have been considered a failure. But it gathered steam as the titles kept on getting cranked out over the years. That's what I think could have happened with the Jaguar.

I like the "what if" thoughts of that, but I would disagree overall. Atari cut a lot of corners with the Jaguar to try and beat others in the 32 and 64 bit system wars. I think that because of that the system never had the long term capabilities that the other systems have. The Sega Saturn had a short life compared to other systems, but it gave us masterpieces like Panzer Dragoon Saga. I don't think Atari had that in them at that time, even if hypothetically they lasted longer.

And since 3DO was made by multiple different manufacturers and the quality varies depending on that, "cutting corners" was clearly something that happened there as well, so maybe the 3DO has a bit more potential than the Jaguar, (at least graphically) but I don't think that even in the hypothetical "give each system a few more years of life and another generation of games" that we would have gotten anything earth shattering to make those systems "must haves."

But what the heck do I know? Just my 2 cents on the matter. Someone please feel free to prove me wrong.

Return to “Classic Gaming”