Classic and Retro Gaming Headaches

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

Re: Classic and Retro Gaming Headaches

Postby matmico399 » February 4th, 2017, 1:43 pm

When I first got my Dreamcast a few years back on EBay, it arrived not working. Luckily my teenage son is an electronics genius. So He opened it up and fixed it. It has worked like a charm ever since.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 4th, 2017, 8:14 pm

I can echo some of the sentiments here. At any given time, it seems like I have a non-working system sitting to the side for my electronic guru friend Brent to take a look at next time he's over.

Agree about the Dreamcast disc reader. I've been through several of these and failing to read discs is the main problem. Even the good one I have now has the occasional hiccup.

As for playing classic systems on modern televisions, I don't even attempt it. Everything pre-Dreamcast I play on an old 27" Toshiba CRT TV. I was watching the latest Angry Video Game Nerd DVD (Vol 9) and he used a device called the Framemeister in order to get old games to work on new TVs.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » February 4th, 2017, 10:26 pm

So funny all the posts about Dreamcasts failing. I've literally never had an issue with a dreamcast. I've had a fat PS2 stop reading games (I was able to fix it to read most games), a Virtual Boy's picture go bad (another thing I was able to mostly fix. Boy was it a pain to get that system open though), the switches stop working on an Atari 2600 (again, fixed enough to work but not good as new, a Wii stop working where it got frozen on the startup screen (not something I could fix) and a 360 stop working (there was no fixing that one either, and it wasn't the standard 3 rings of death so the extended warranty didn't cover it).

Return to “Classic Gaming”