Battle Kid 2 (NES fan game)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Voor

Battle Kid 2 (NES fan game)

Postby Voor » February 8th, 2017, 7:22 pm

Any fans of this homebrew? Looks like a fast paced Megan man, metroidvania hybrid. Here's a Speedrun of it with some cool commentary.

https://youtu.be/tHNJyKKRgd8

Most interesting is that it's a cartridge release only and the last game for the NES.

snakeboy

Re: Battle Kid 2 (NES fan game)

Postby snakeboy » February 10th, 2017, 10:27 pm

I have both Battle Kid games and enjoy them both quite a bit. They're hard as heck, but each one has that "just one more time" quality.

Honestly, I think these look to be about the only two homebrew NES games that seem to be worth owning. Unlike Atari 2600 and 7800 homebrews, which are as impressive or even more impressive than many of the original games, many NES homebrews look less impressive than an above-average original release. While I'll admit that I'm probably being a bit unfair here considering there are plenty of NES homebrews I haven't played, and apparently developing homebrews for the NES isn't as easy as it is for the 2600 and 7800, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if the Battle Kid games were released in the late 80's or early 90's, they would have stood out as being high quality games, which is a pretty impressive feat.

It would be interesting to see the VGC's take on these games. It would be nice to see him review a couple NES homebrews since I don't think there are any on the site.

Voor

Re: Battle Kid 2 (NES fan game)

Postby Voor » March 4th, 2017, 7:24 pm

One thing worth noting--the music soundtracks are amazing, like possibly the best on the NES.

Return to “Classic Gaming”