Floigan Bros. Sega Dreamcast all official DLC released nearly 16 years after the games originally released!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Floigan Bros. Sega Dreamcast all official DLC released nearly 16 years after the games originally released!

Postby Sonicx9 » March 13th, 2017, 3:43 pm

http://www.dreamcastlive.net/blogs/post ... -Released/

Nearly 16 years after its original 2001 release, this obscure late life Sega Dreamcast gem Floigan Bros. has all of its official DLC released nearly 16 years after the games originally release! It was done by hacking a VMU save file with one of the DLC that has been found. And now it can be enjoyed by everyone thanks to this awesome news! I really hope that Dave the Video Game Critic reviews this gem, not only because it is one of the most original creative game for the system. But it is one of the most cleverly funny game to be released as well!

There is also a very interesting/long backstory related with the game, but that will be told later on if people want to know more about it?

Retro STrife

Re: Floigan Bros. Sega Dreamcast all official DLC released nearly 16 years after the games originally released!

Postby Retro STrife » March 14th, 2017, 11:28 am

Years back, GameStop was clearing out Dreamcast inventory for 50% off and I was more than happy to go there to "help". I remember seeing a new copy of Floigan Bros. there, which was probably like $10-$15 with the discount. I debated for awhile about whether to buy it...it looked interesting, but reviews were not good, and the price was a little steep for me at that time. I've never considered it again since then. But you seem pretty passionate about it, so that inspired me to pick it up on ebay today. I'll give it a shot when it comes in.

The article is really interesting too, both about the way that they planned to release the DLC back in the day (i.e., having it already on the disc but just unlocking it), and the way they are unlocking it now. I won't be personally interested in hassling with the DLC content, but still seems cool.

Sonicx9

Re: Floigan Bros. Sega Dreamcast all official DLC released nearly 16 years after the games originally released!

Postby Sonicx9 » March 14th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Years back, GameStop was clearing out Dreamcast inventory for 50% off and I was more than happy to go there to "help". I remember seeing a new copy of Floigan Bros. there, which was probably like $10-$15 with the discount. I debated for awhile about whether to buy it...it looked interesting, but reviews were not good, and the price was a little steep for me at that time. I've never considered it again since then. But you seem pretty passionate about it, so that inspired me to pick it up on ebay today. I'll give it a shot when it comes in.

The article is really interesting too, both about the way that they planned to release the DLC back in the day (i.e., having it already on the disc but just unlocking it), and the way they are unlocking it now. I won't be personally interested in hassling with the DLC content, but still seems cool.

I am passionate about this game because I have a interesting history with this title. I got my Sega Dreamcast console around June of 2001, just 1 or 2 months before Floigan Bros. was released. And the console bundle I got was the special Sonic bundle. I was looking forward to this game because I was a huge fan of cartoony platformer type games, as I do know the Sega Dreamcast did not have too many of them that where worthwhile outside of the very few gems/games here and their, and the game looked very interesting when I saw it in magazines such as Gamepro and the like, etc. I did read reviews for it, but it was very mixed among professional critics.

Some gave it high such as Gamepro, IGN, Game Informer, etc. But others such as EGM, Gamespot, etc gave it much lower. But even with mixed reviews, I still wanted to play this game, and when I got it, I was presently surprised by it as there was nothing like it that I played. It was part 3D platformer, part Puzzle game, part Virtual pet, part mini game collection, part point and click adventure game, and it manage combine many types of games in 1 unusual package that worked, and became on of my favorite games for the system growing up with it.

I felt very sad this game did not do supper well critically and commercially, which is why Episode 2 never came out, or all the planed DLC at the game was released as the servers where closed down before all of it could be released at the time. And mind you I did not have my console set up for the internet, so I could not get any of the DLC back in the day. But I found a way via getting the DLC file from the website, ripping the data from a VMU backup CD, putting the save file in the data, and creating a cdi file and burning it, so I have got to see the full game in its entirety nearly 16 years later, People should give this game a try because their is nothing like it out there, and the game is also one of the most cleverly funny games that makes it one of the few times that humor was done right in a game without it being vulgar compared to games such as conker/the recent south park games.

Next time I will talk about the interesting/long backstory related with the game if people want to know more behind the scenes for this game.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 15th, 2017, 1:52 am

Good stuff. I'll let you know what I think when I get around to trying it out. Looking forward to it now. Always good to try out a game with a good sense of humor, especially if it's not like Conker (which I also didn't think was funny).

goldenband

Postby goldenband » March 15th, 2017, 10:30 am

I played through this game a couple of years ago over the course of an evening. It had its share of frustrations, but certainly had personality. I did wonder about all the undiscovered DLC, so this is great news. :)

Return to “Classic Gaming”