Best racing games for Game Boy Color?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
astrodomekid

Best racing games for Game Boy Color?

Postby astrodomekid » March 31st, 2017, 7:09 pm

Lately, I've been thinking of buying a Game Boy Color. Not sure though since I already have a Game Boy Advance, but I definitely wanna look for more games for the GBC. One thing I've been wondering is what are the best racing games on the system, as I am a rabid fan of the genre. In fact, the first (and only) GBC game I ever owned was Star Wars Episode I Racer. Here's a short list of games that I'm considering at the moment:

Colin McRae Rally
Cruis'n Exotica
Jeff Gordon XS Racing
Motocross Maniacs 2
NASCAR 2000
Test Drive 6
TOCA Touring Car Championship

I already tried out a couple of these on emulators, and look forward to finding a physical copy sooner or later. If you know any other racing games for the Game Boy Color that I might like, let me know.

Atariboy

Re: Best racing games for Game Boy Color?

Postby Atariboy » March 31st, 2017, 8:22 pm

I enjoyed Colin McRae Rally and TOCA, but NASCAR 2000 is trash and only holds value if you're going for a complete set. The entire budget seems to have gone into incorporating rumble functionality in the cartridge.

Not otherwise sure about the choices you're considering, but if you're open to other suggestions, I enjoyed the two Top Gear Pocket releases and V-Rally: Edition 99 on the system.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » April 2nd, 2017, 12:15 pm

Atariboy wrote:I enjoyed Colin McRae Rally and TOCA, but NASCAR 2000 is trash and only holds value if you're going for a complete set. The entire budget seems to have gone into incorporating rumble functionality in the cartridge.

Not otherwise sure about the choices you're considering, but if you're open to other suggestions, I enjoyed the two Top Gear Pocket releases and V-Rally: Edition 99 on the system.

Of course I'm open to other suggestions. That's the point of this topic. And I'll give those two games a look.

And after watching some YouTube footage of NASCAR 2000, that one's definitely getting scratched off the list. I enjoyed the N64 version as a kid, but the GBC version looks awful.

Rev

Postby Rev » April 3rd, 2017, 1:30 pm

Star wars episode 1 racer is great on the gbc. Played it recently and it still holds up.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 3rd, 2017, 2:23 pm

astrodomekid wrote:
Atariboy wrote:Not otherwise sure about the choices you're considering, but if you're open to other suggestions, I enjoyed the two Top Gear Pocket releases and V-Rally: Edition 99 on the system.

Of course I'm open to other suggestions. That's the point of this topic.

I had a weird encounter at AtariAge a few years ago in a thread asking for PS2 recommendations, so I'm always a bit leery now of deviating even in the slightest in threads like this. You didn't ask for suggestions outside that group you were considering, so I approached it with caution just in case you were like this guy.

Mr. Stupid wrote:
Atariboy wrote:A lot of these games being mentioned have remastered HD rereleases on the PS3. Just something to keep in mind.

If you ever think you'd get a PS3, I'd at least hold out and experience Ico and Shadow of the Colossus there. They really benefited from the HD upgrade and belong in widescreen on a big HDTV. It irons out many of the frame rate issues that hindered Shadow of the Colossus and is a $20 game brand new at retailers these days where as I think even with its later rerelease, you can easily still pay significantly more than that just for a used copy of Ico for the PS2.

^^^^^ Uhh...the OP wants PS2 games...FOR HIS PS2. Why the current-gen/HD recommendations? Wouldn't buying the games you mention above make his PS2 purchase pointless?

Return to “Classic Gaming”