"Mostly Gone" Genres

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

Re: "Mostly Gone" Genres

Postby scotland » May 8th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Brick and paddle. Ever see this Nintendo console - nothing but brick and paddle. There is one with bricks on the bottom too.

C_UfSQYXsAAPiNd.jpg
C_UfSQYXsAAPiNd.jpg (59.4 KiB) Viewed 2608 times

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » May 8th, 2017, 3:51 pm

scotland wrote:Maze Games - One of the most iconic games of all time, Pac-Man, is a maze game, many of which had some 'cat and mouse' components. Is that genre mostly extinct now. It seems to have been tied pretty strongly with an overhead 2D view.

Now that is sad; I love maze games, and you're right, I haven't seen a new one in awhile.

Cool Nintendo system, by the way.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 8th, 2017, 3:56 pm

scotland wrote:For FMV - its interesting that in this day and age that amateur movie makers and video game players aren't trying to do a little full motion video for games. Alternatively, use a public domain movie like Night of the Living Dead, and slice out content that way.

Her Story is a fairly recent game that uses FMV, and apparently, it's a very good game. I believe Guitar Hero Live also uses FMV for audience footage. And Night Trap is getting a remake. Perhaps we're about to go through a minor FMV revival?

brendand

Postby brendand » May 9th, 2017, 6:57 am

Futuristic racers a dying genre where is Wipeout ? Fzero ? Extreme G? and the like sure there was Hydro Thunder and Wipeout a few years ago but where is the genre now as far as physical releases are concerned its pretty dead as a genre unfortunately!

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » May 9th, 2017, 9:18 am

There was a game called Fast Racing NEO that I believe had a physical release for the switch. Kart racing games in general have kind of gone away; I can remember a many kart racers during ps1/2/3 era. Muppet Race Mania, Nicktoons, Cartoon Network, Star wars racing, Pac Man rally, Mysims racing, DreamWorks super star karts, etc.

I definitely agree with the arcade racers. I hate these so-called "realistic" racers where the car spins around like a bowling pin whenever it hits anything.

I would also add "ball-rolling" games. There's only a few I know of. The Marble Mania/Marble Saga games for the Wii, and ther'es a neat game I found on PSN called Hamster Ball. I'm sure there are a few others.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » May 9th, 2017, 11:52 am

This is a great thread.

The theme being that other than indie productions in small numbers most of these genres are indeed dead.

And that does make me sad... I loved many of the Tycoon games, simcity, etc. I've downloaded many off of GoG and still have many from my youth that I play today. (Roller Coaster Tycoon is a masterpiece in my opinion)

Maze games, adventure games, older style RPGs, (Both Baldur's Gate style and Chrono Trigger/Xenogears/etc. style) simple fun arcade games, light gun games... Many of those genres are my favored today. I loved dragon age origins, (and still do) because it was a modern Baldur's Gate. The Neverwinter nights games never really captured that magic, and modern RPGs are going much more into the 'action/adventure' type. Even the more traditional select an action and it happens see damage types of games are following on the FF8 originated style model of having timed button presses, button mashing, etc.

Sometimes simpler is better.

/Don't know where I was going with this, I need coffee.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » May 10th, 2017, 9:23 am

3D maze games, like Escape the Mindmaster, HoverTank, Faceball, etc.

These were novel 20+ years ago, but now that systems can render more complex scenes you hardly ever see a good, ole' maze.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 10th, 2017, 4:02 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:
scotland wrote:For FMV - its interesting that in this day and age that amateur movie makers and video game players aren't trying to do a little full motion video for games. Alternatively, use a public domain movie like Night of the Living Dead, and slice out content that way.

Her Story is a fairly recent game that uses FMV, and apparently, it's a very good game. I believe Guitar Hero Live also uses FMV for audience footage. And Night Trap is getting a remake. Perhaps we're about to go through a minor FMV revival?

Wales interactive are producing fmv games.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdzOs2vIO8Y

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » June 1st, 2017, 8:41 pm

[quote="scotland"]Brick and paddle. Ever see this Nintendo console - nothing but brick and paddle. There is one with bricks on the bottom too.

Cool looking console. Do you know when that came out and where?

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » June 1st, 2017, 10:01 pm

New brick and paddle and maze games flood the downloadable markets. They just play well with the limited touch screen interfaces.

But sprite scaling 3d? I never see it outside of Doom mods. Shame too - we finally have the ability to make games that would literally place you inside a hand drawn cartoon, but nobody cares anymore.

Return to “Classic Gaming”