The Price of Old Video Games

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Rookie1

Re: The Price of Old Video Games

Postby Rookie1 » May 19th, 2017, 6:51 am

None of those games are rare by any means, but they are all some of the most iconic NES games and thus highly sought after which drives up the price at auction.

Thats not too bad of a price though, only 17ish per game. I have seen contra top $50 on its own, and Punch out in the 40s at times.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » May 19th, 2017, 9:03 am

I don't have a lot of NES games, but I do know prices are high. 30 bucks was expensive for an NES game a few years ago, now it seems like a good deal, if it's a more popular title. I know SNES prices are high, I paid $30 for Kirby's dream course recently.

I think it's also a generational thing as well. These days, people who grew up playing N64 and PS1 are driving those prices up, a they look to regain copies of those games.

Mario500

Postby Mario500 » May 19th, 2017, 10:39 am

scotland wrote:
Rev wrote:So I have been a firm be[l]iever in eBay being a big reason for game price inflation over the last few years.

So we gamers, myself included, act like Veruca Salt, and here we are.

Who?

scotland

Postby scotland » May 19th, 2017, 10:54 am

Veruca Salt is a character from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, aka, Willie Wonka. She was one of the children who had acquired a Golden Ticket for a tour of the mysterious factory. Without spoiling anything (the 1972 movie is quite memorable), Veruca is known for being a demanding spoiled brat, with lots of money but neither patience nor good sense.

I understand who is buying back their childhoods, but there is still plenty of supply to meet that demand. You could say that at $20, its just a fraction of its original cost, but it still seems high given the supply and incredible durability of ROM carts. I pity when this wave hits optical disc systems at this intensity. Maybe by then, emulation or inexpensive retro units or virtual consoles will have become so common the vintage stuff will not be so coveted. ( and I am as guilty as the next person buying old stuff, so not pointing fingers)

Mario500

Postby Mario500 » May 19th, 2017, 12:03 pm

^Did you mean the year 1971 in reference to the first "Willy Wonka" movie (in case you were, I agree that it was memorable, since it is one of my favorite movies. I also agree with all of your other points in your message)?
Last edited by Mario500 on May 19th, 2017, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » May 19th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Mario500 wrote:
scotland wrote:
Rev wrote:So I have been a firm be[l]iever in eBay being a big reason for game price inflation over the last few years.

So we gamers, myself included, act like Veruca Salt, and here we are.

Who?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTkCHE1sS4

scotland

Postby scotland » May 19th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Thats exactly the scene I had in mind. Thank you.

IMDB agrees with you its 1971. That a clip from Alien Covenant was playing when I went there was not as big of a subject clash with Willie Wonka as you would think. There is probably a xenomorph image in that boat ride that shows no signs of slowing.

Return to “Classic Gaming”