New HDMI Genesis Flashback with cartridge slot

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

New HDMI Genesis Flashback with cartridge slot

Postby scotland » June 9th, 2017, 9:38 pm

According to Polygon
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/6/9/15768616/sega-genesis-flashback-console-premium
a new Genesis Flashback is coming for the holidays. This one has 720p HDMI out, with a cartridge slot, save and pause features, native controller ports , 75 built in games, etc. This one looks like a smaller Model 1. Its likely a software emulator with those features, which could up the price.

We've seen that number of games before, and half were filler games hardly worth ROM room. The included controllers are radio frequency and not infrared, but in the past the build qualith on those left a lot to be desired. Who knows how good the emulation is, but the Genesis has been emulated alot now.

Rookie1

Re: New HDMI Genesis Flashback with cartridge slot

Postby Rookie1 » June 16th, 2017, 8:40 am

I havent heard great things about the emulation for these new HDMI consoles. I really wanted that Retron 1 HD, but Amazon screwed up my order (second pre-order they have screwed up this year) so I canceled it. Glad I did because from what I have seen, the games are all wonky. Colors are weird, and the audio is way off. Mario sounded like a completely different game.

I have heard that this system will be along those lines. I guess time will tell.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 16th, 2017, 10:02 pm

The Hyperkin Retron 1 HD isn't emulation based. It utilizes a traditional NES-on-a-chip with all the usual issues with NOAC chips, outputting composite video to a cheap upscaler. I'm impressed it looks as good as it does on YouTube, with it not appearing to be completely without merit (Although high end solutions have nothing to worry about).

The subject of this thread is from AtGames and is software emulation. Their representative at AtariAge seems to be happy with his test unit. Old issues with accuracy from past Sega themed AtGames products utilizing a poor Genesis-on-a-chip don't hold any relevance for the new HDMI model, since the HD system is a completely fresh effort for 2017.

That said, there will still be issues of course, just different from those in the past (And hopefully much more minor than the awful audio reproduction that has come to be expected with the AtGames Sega range of products). The real killer here for me personally is the lack of SD rom loading like the Sega handhelds from AtGames have.

As one with a relatively small cartridge collection of maybe 30 Genesis games, I heavily rely on my Everdrive and that's one accessory which won't work with this new emulation based machine. And most of the built-in lineup are Sega games I have already have on the PS3 and 360, limiting the value proposition here even further.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 21st, 2017, 3:46 pm

http://movieweb.com/amp/atari-sega-genesis-flashback-console-price-preorder/

Pre-orders will be out soon for this years new and improved Atari ad Genesis At Games Flashbacks, now in HD. MSRPs are notably higher, about twice what I have normally paid in the past. With the higher price, they may also not be at multiple retail locations I have seen them at.

Edit: Only the portable units seem to have an SD slot, and only the Genesis console unit a cartridge slot.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » July 22nd, 2017, 4:23 am

I find it hard to believe the new portable Genesis wouldn't have the SD Slot since I own one that has one.

Return to “Classic Gaming”