SNES Classic Announced

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Atariboy

Re: SNES Classic Announced

Postby Atariboy » July 2nd, 2017, 1:05 am

Killer Instinct is a Rareware property and they're owned by Microsoft. So even if the 16 bit port was fully owned by Nintendo, it's just like something like the Atari 2600 conversion of Pac-Man is for today's Atari.

Without the permission of the IP holder whose property was the basis for the the conversion in the first place, nothing can be done. And since this is a franchise that has had a semi-prominent place on the Xbox One, such permission is unlikely to be forthcoming.

Unless it's something that involves Nintendo's own IP that Rare otherwise can't do anything with (i.e. Donkey Kong Country), I wouldn't expect to ever see any cooperation. They couldn't even work out something to get Goldeneye back out on both the Wii and 360 a few years back, when Activision was willing to play ball (The holder at the time of the James Bond videogame rights).

Voor

Postby Voor » July 2nd, 2017, 1:21 am

Because SF2 has waaayyyyy more universal appeal than KI. For me, like many other gamers, it was the introduction to fighting games.

Tron

Postby Tron » July 2nd, 2017, 9:38 pm

I hope Nintendo makes so many of these that the scalpers have to unload theirs for a loss. Of course we can't expect that to happen since Nintendo loves scalpers.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » July 10th, 2017, 7:47 pm

@DaHeckisthat

Neither am I.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 11th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Anybody know when preorders in North America will become available? I've got the pages all saved, but that doesn't help if it starts and runs out before I even know its available.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » July 12th, 2017, 2:32 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Anybody know when preorders in North America will become available? I've got the pages all saved, but that doesn't help if it starts and runs out before I even know its available.

Nintendo Life has an article on their front page keeping tabs on preorders, but seeing as how Nintendo has a history of treating their customers like crap compared to the Japanese and European regions I wouldn't hold out hope that the US will get any preorders.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » July 22nd, 2017, 2:33 am

You lucky dog! Haha!

They're already sold out! I'll keep shooting for s preorder, but if I don't then it's just a minor inconvenience because I either snag a preorder or I camp! Either way, I will have one on September 29th for $80!

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 22nd, 2017, 11:02 am

Keep a close eye on it. I work for Walmart fraud prevention, and we've got over 5000 orders just for these. A lot of them are going to be resellers, and Walmart no longer sells to resellers, so once we get these orders sorted out they might come back in stock for a little while. Sign up to get an email when they come back in stock like I did, then you can beat the rush.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » July 22nd, 2017, 12:41 pm

Good call! I just downloaded the tracker.

Return to “Classic Gaming”