SNES Classic Announced

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ActRaiser

Re: SNES Classic Announced

Postby ActRaiser » August 22nd, 2017, 9:19 pm

MoarRipter wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:While I agree that pre-orders have been a mess, and Nintendo certainly doesn't deserve any benefits of the doubt at this point, I still think it's best to pump the brakes and see how the actual September 29th release goes. I'm not optimistic about it, but still, I won't judge the whole SNES Classic by its pre-order period. I think it was Allen Iverson who said "What are we talking about? Pre-orders? We're talking about pre-orders, man. We ain't talking about the game."

Perhaps Nintendo is being smart by using the pre-order period to determine how many SNES Classics they need to manufacture. I give that about a 5% chance, but we won't know for sure until the real release happens. And really, I'm ok with sell outs on the release date too... just as long as they eventually satisfy most of the demand before stopping production, unlike the NES Classic fiasco.

Nintendo is not being smart. If they were being smart they would've opened up the pre-order period immediately after announcement like most companies do, so they could try to accurately gauge demand. But no, this is typical Nintendo. Same tactics, different product. Nintendo can go jump off of a pier without a life vest. And the same with Walmart - they should've at least given advance notice or some kind of pre-dibs for people who got screwed over on that pre-order mess that happened a month ago. They had my money for days before they canceled my pre-order after Nintendo ordered them to, what did I get from that? A canned apology letter from some random person at Walmart. Yeah thanks for that, that was really worth letting you hang onto my money for a week. :roll:

If I happen to walk into a store and see one on the shelf, for MSRP, then I'll buy it but otherwise forget Nintendo and the retailers who go along with their artificial scarcity game plan tactics. I'd much rather have those games on the Switch anyway so I could play them on the train to work instead of being saddled to a TV and having to occupy yet another HDMI port.

Yep, that's definitely the way I felt last year for the NES Classic. And then I told myself I wouldn't try to get a SNES Classic...and the same thing happened after thinking there might actually be a chance to get one...

If I actually owned stock in Nintendo I'd be a bit upset right about now. It's great they have demand but really they have no interest in fulfilling it.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 26th, 2017, 5:17 pm

If anyone wants a controller extension cable for this and the NES Classic Edition, this price is hard to beat for a 10' cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Bigain ... nk20241-20

Ordered one for $1.68 with free shipping just now. :)

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 27th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Atariboy wrote:If anyone wants a controller extension cable for this and the NES Classic Edition, this price is hard to beat for a 10' cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Bigain ... nk20241-20

Ordered one for $1.68 with free shipping just now. :)

Thanks for the link! I ordered 2.

Anyone else going to try to get one on Friday?

Sut

Postby Sut » September 27th, 2017, 3:08 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Anyone else going to try to get one on Friday?

Going to try, not holding out much hope though.
Still haven't found a NES classic at a decent price but heard they will be producing more next year.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 27th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Since I already work the night shift, I figure I may as well run to the store after work and see if I can snag one. Not holding out much hope that'll actually happen, but no harm trying I guess.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 29th, 2017, 12:43 am

All right, it isn't midnight yet, but I got here just in time to get a number so it looks like I've got myself a Snes Classic!

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » September 29th, 2017, 6:02 pm

The scalpers are already trying to sell this system for vastly marked up prices.. I have seen $170-300 already on local ads around my area. Sickening.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » September 29th, 2017, 9:29 pm

I got my SNES Classic today and it's already a big hit here especially with our oldest daughter who is 5 and is in love with Kirby lol

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » October 5th, 2017, 2:53 am

Got mine yesterday, and emulation is spot-on. Passing up Chrono Trigger for Super Ghouls n' Ghosts is...a baffling decision, to say the least, but the vast majority of the games range from good to brilliant. Star Fox 2 is more of a historical curiosity than anything else, and it's unlikely you'll revisit it after beating it once, but its inclusion here is nevertheless interesting. People are already working on hacking the SNES Classic to allow you to add more games, and I'm absolutely going to do that once I'm able to, but the ratio of duds to genuine classics is very good as it is.

Additionally, the display options (including Super Game Boy-esque borders), savestates, and rewind features are quite nice, though I wish there were a Home button on the controller rather than you being forced to go over to the console and reset it every time you want to switch games. I also wish the digital manuals for the games were included in the system itself instead of it giving you a QR code to view them online. How hard would that even have been? Still, it's a charming little system, and certainly a far better effort than anything manufactured by AtGames.

Also, Kirby's Dream Course is way harder than you'd think.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 5th, 2017, 7:37 am

Yeah, I've really been enjoying mine as well. I 100% agree with you on the need for a home button or some way to reset it without leaving the couch. How hard would it have been to make SELECT, START, and the LR buttons at the same time or some other weirdo combination reset it.

Return to “Classic Gaming”