New arcade machine

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: New arcade machine

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 24th, 2017, 6:21 pm

It's DEFENDER! Doesn't stand out as a game with unusual controls, until you count all the buttons.

1. up/down stick
2. thrust
3. reverse
4. fire
5. smart bomb
6. hyperspace

and that's not even counting the player 1/2 buttons.

I'll try to post some photos soon. Also, plan to write a review.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 24th, 2017, 6:39 pm

mbd36 guessed that one on the first page! I know because I quoted it. Were you just holding out, or did you miss the posts?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 24th, 2017, 7:14 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It's DEFENDER! Doesn't stand out as a game with unusual controls, until you count all the buttons.

1. up/down stick
2. thrust
3. reverse
4. fire
5. smart bomb
6. hyperspace

and that's not even counting the player 1/2 buttons.

I'll try to post some photos soon. Also, plan to write a review.

Haha, thank god we didn't keep guessing! mbd36 guessed that one back on page 1, so we had all moved on from that one! Good choice though..I know that's a favorite of yours. I could never really get into it to be honest, but I haven't given it a fair chance either.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 24th, 2017, 9:25 pm

My bad - I missed that! Probably because it was at the bottom of the first page! LOL

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 25th, 2017, 10:49 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:My bad - I missed that! Probably because it was at the bottom of the first page! LOL

So do you still have all the other machines as well? Or have you rotated some out as you pick up a new one?

I'm looking into my first arcade machine at the moment. Getting a Neo Geo MVS machine and deciding between two sellers in my local area. Hoping to get one of them by this weekend.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » August 25th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Congrats on your purchase! I've always loved Defender. It's one of those games I like even though I'm terrible at it. I've played it millions of times through the years and never seem to get any better at it. I'm no better now at it than I was after the 3rd or 4th time I've ever played it

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 25th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Did you ever play Dropzone on your 1200XL? It's an excellent take on the Defender formula and one of the best games on the 8-bit Atari computers.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 26th, 2017, 4:33 pm

Yes I still have my other machines. No room for any more though.
Defender is one of the most difficult arcade games ever, which factored into my decision.
No chance of mastering it anytime soon.

Pictures below. Pretty good shape huh?
I did replace the buttons (took some liberty with the colors) and some of the trim that was looking banged up.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 28th, 2017, 9:40 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yes I still have my other machines. No room for any more though.
Defender is one of the most difficult arcade games ever, which factored into my decision.
No chance of mastering it anytime soon.

Pictures below. Pretty good shape huh?
I did replace the buttons (took some liberty with the colors) and some of the trim that was looking banged up.

Excellent condition, looks great for a game of that age. And that Defender art always has a presence and stands out over other games. So now that you've run out of room, do you plan to call it quits on buying these? Or do you think you'll eventually have to part with one to make room for a new one?

On my end, I just got my first arcade machine yesterday. Decided to go with a Neo Geo MVS (4-slot), which I've wanted for a long time. After I've gotten some play time with it, maybe I'll review it in Reader Reviews. I'll definitely be using your reviews to find some good games.

Despite that new addition, I think my X-Files pinball machine will still get more play when friends and family comes over... I notice that non-gamers and casual gamers tend to gravitate toward pinball and find it more interesting to play. I think you've mentioned in reviews before that you have a couple pinball machines too, right?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 29th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Yeah Defender is in great condition, although I did need to make a few improvements. The coin slots were broken, so had to fix those. I replaced the buttons which were rough. I also replaced some of the trim that was banged up. Now I'm really happy with it.

Since I've run out of space I have no plans to purchase any more machines. To be honest it would be hard to part with any of those I have. I have never really mastered any of them, and only have the high score on one or two. Then again I mainly play them when people are over.

I have two pinballs: Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean. LotR (2003) feels a lot heavier because it is older and used better parts. You can tell Stern started to cut corners with PotC (2006). Still, glad to have both because they feel very different. LotR has a rhythm, but PotC is a more rapid-fire style game.

I do notice people tend to gravitate towards the pinball - probably because it's such a unique experience. But man, those pinball machines are huge - and loud.

Return to “Classic Gaming”