Do low SNES Classic prices on ebay mean more supply or less demand?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Retro STrife

Do low SNES Classic prices on ebay mean more supply or less demand?

Postby Retro STrife » October 17th, 2017, 10:00 am

When I first heard about the SNES Classic, I figured it would be a much bigger hit than the NES Classic. In the retro gaming market, the SNES is the hottest console right now IMO, though I feel us approaching N64/PS1 territory very soon. But for now, the SNES is at that nostalgic sweetspot that I often talk about, where nostalgia and disposable incomes meet for 25-35 year olds and creates a sharp boost in the market before plateauing. The NES, on the other hand, wasn't even played by many people under 30 when they were growing up, which I feel impacts its resale market.

Yet, so far I'm noticing a lot less return for the scalpers who bought the SNES Classic, which I'm glad to see. Ebay prices are currently around $130-$140, which is not too unreasonable. The NES Classic, on the other hand, has ranged from $180-$300, depending on when you looked (it peaked when Nintendo announced the discontinuation, but the going rate has since come down a little). As to the SNES Classic, Economics 101 tells us that means there is either less demand or more supply than the NES Classic. Or both. Which do you think it is?

I'm sure there is more supply, as Nintendo promised, but I still haven't seen them just sitting on store shelves or getting restocked (has anyone else?). To me, it seems like less demand is the issue. That leads me to wonder if the NES just has a more universal appeal that allows it to hit a broader casual audience, even if the SNES is surpassing it in our niche retro gaming scene. There was also less marketing this time around, or so it seemed to me. Either way, I'm surprised by this.

CharlieR

Re: Do low SNES Classic prices on ebay mean more supply or less demand?

Postby CharlieR » October 17th, 2017, 11:04 am

This is a good thought, and I like that you used the words “universal appeal” for the NES. When the NES classic came out, it seemed like even non-gamers wanted one. People who may not have played a video game in twenty or thirty years see a few games on there that they remember, and they want to go buy one. Then they see they are sold out in stores, and have price tags of over $300 online.

My answer is less demand, though I am sure there is still a huge demand. The SNES was more of a “gamers’ console” so it probably won’t have the universal demand of the NES classic. I think more non gamers would want to play the original Super Mario Bros. than Super Mario World.

Voor

Re: Do low SNES Classic prices on ebay mean more supply or less demand?

Postby Voor » October 17th, 2017, 8:19 pm

I've been watching this too, as I sold my NES Classic, but miss it. I thought Nintendo said they were releasing more, right?

Return to “Classic Gaming”