What is your Holy Grail?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
pacman000

Re: What is your Holy Grail?

Postby pacman000 » October 30th, 2017, 4:35 pm

It might be nice to find a copy of Dragon Hopper for the Virtual Boy. (Understatement.) Folks have already found Face Ball and Bound High.

Face Ball: http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb/v ... =0&start=0

Bound High: http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb/v ... mpost20247

JWK

Postby JWK » November 1st, 2017, 9:29 am

I can empathize with peeps who want Panzer Dragoon Saga and the Working Designs games on the Saturn. The system and games sold so poorly in North America that finding anything worthwhile at a yard sale, etc is nearly impossible. You can hope someone sells a lot cheap on Craig’s list or something, but many non-gamers are becoming wise to the possibility that their old games are worth something.

Personally, I’ve just bought the Japanese versions of the RPGs I want for the system and then modded my Saturn and bought reproductions. I’d still like to own the real (NA) games, but I’ve decided to focus spending money on the Saturn's Japanese games. As a side note, replacing broken long boxes is a complete mess so that’s certainly one way JP Saturn games were better. 2D Games was another (thanks, Bernie Stolar!), but that’s for another topic.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 1st, 2017, 1:31 pm

Sut wrote:The Pioneer Laseractive with the Mega LD attachment.
Feel it’s a piece of Sega history I’m missing (despite the fact they only actually produced one game of their own on it).

Have you seen this?

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Thinking-of-get ... 892/g.html

For fun I did a quick search on google and hit the first ebay link I saw.

Holy cow! I had no idea those things were ticking time bombs. I remember reading about them in EGM as a kid and thinking, "No way, they were more expensive than a Neo Geo."

For me I'd say Terranigma, I'd need a SNES PAL, a PAL tv, and the game to do it all right. Or I add the ROM to my SNES classic and call it a day. That's finally what I did. It took me a while to get it configured to work right. For some reason the Quintet games don't play well with hackchi by itself and require retroarch.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 1st, 2017, 4:08 pm

ActRaiser wrote:
Sut wrote:The Pioneer Laseractive with the Mega LD attachment.
Feel it’s a piece of Sega history I’m missing (despite the fact they only actually produced one game of their own on it).

Have you seen this?

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Thinking-of-get ... 892/g.html

For fun I did a quick search on google and hit the first ebay link I saw.

Holy cow! I had no idea those things were ticking time bombs. I remember reading about them in EGM as a kid and thinking, "No way, they were more expensive than a Neo Geo."

“When this stuff leaks from a surface mount capacitor, the leaked fluid is deposited directly on the printed circuit board. This stuff is CORROSIVE and, if the faulty capacitor is not replaced and the mess cleaned up, the fluid **WILL**, not "if" or "could" but "WILL," damage or, if it's bad enough, effectively DESTROY the printed board by corroding the copper traces. “

Ouch ! Thanks for the link. So not only are hideously expensive but are highly unlikely to work or if they do they won’t for less long. Problem is as far as I’m aware the Mega LD and LD-ROM2 games aren’t emulated either.

jon

Postby jon » November 3rd, 2017, 11:25 am

Mine would be to have complete with manual USA AES Metal Slug series. Throw in Japan AES Pulstar.

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » November 3rd, 2017, 4:58 pm

Just some thoughts...

• Shadow Tower - I believe I may have a loose copy of Shadow Tower in my collection. Let me check this weekend.
• Pioneer LaserActive - I have heard this, but did not have any issues with either of the units I had. That said, they still service this unit in Japan (not sure if that is the case in the US).
• Casio PV-1000 - Very expensive but sexy as hell (like you pointed out). Games are below average IMH compared to the comp set.
• EPOCH Super Cassette Vision - Pretty decent library but not recommended for the standard gamer from a value perspective.
• Bally Astrocade - Not very durable and games are mostly knock-offs of 2600 titles.

Hope everyone enjoys the upcoming weekend.

Terry

David

Postby David » November 4th, 2017, 7:35 pm

I would love to play Panzer Dragoon Saga but I just checked the prices and it’s a little out of control. I swear maybe 7-8 years ago you could get a complete copy for $200, but now they’re three times the price. If I ever were to buy it, I’d probably just sell it after I was finished and recoup my losses.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » November 5th, 2017, 11:05 am

Stunt Racer 64, It was an blockbuster exclusive only for rent for the Nintendo 64. If I remember right the game can be bought online on ebay for only 320 dollars (just the cart) So I don't know if I'll ever get it.. :evil:

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » November 5th, 2017, 11:46 am

The Atari Cosmos. I believe there are only 3 in existence, and one went for $20K. Just a cool backstory to the system.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » November 5th, 2017, 6:13 pm

I'm going to echo that Panzer Dragoon Saga would be mine. I am an original Saturn Owner, and remember seeing it in magazines at the time, and I was a big fan of the series. I'm in the position financially that probably in the next year or 2 I can start actually collecting, and the first big money game I'm getting is going to be that one. Knowing full well I'm going to spend 500+ on it.

And I also want to get through Shining Force III Scenarios 2 and 3... but I don't speak Japanese....

Return to “Classic Gaming”