What is your Holy Grail?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Sut

Re: What is your Holy Grail?

Postby Sut » November 6th, 2017, 3:16 am

Alucard1191 wrote:I'm going to echo that Panzer Dragoon Saga would be mine. I am an original Saturn Owner, and remember seeing it in magazines at the time, and I was a big fan of the series. I'm in the position financially that probably in the next year or 2 I can start actually collecting, and the first big money game I'm getting is going to be that one. Knowing full well I'm going to spend 500+ on it.

And I also want to get through Shining Force III Scenarios 2 and 3... but I don't speak Japanese....

I was going to suggest obtaining the PAL one as still in English and may be cheaper. But I’ve just checked eBay and wow !
I thought I paid over the odds at £110 a few years back but it’s almost treble that now.

Regarding Shining Force III I seem to remember someone was working on a translation patch ? You will need either a modded Saturn or the Backup Unlocker cartridge.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » November 6th, 2017, 11:51 am

Sut wrote:
Alucard1191 wrote:I'm going to echo that Panzer Dragoon Saga would be mine. I am an original Saturn Owner, and remember seeing it in magazines at the time, and I was a big fan of the series. I'm in the position financially that probably in the next year or 2 I can start actually collecting, and the first big money game I'm getting is going to be that one. Knowing full well I'm going to spend 500+ on it.

And I also want to get through Shining Force III Scenarios 2 and 3... but I don't speak Japanese....

I was going to suggest obtaining the PAL one as still in English and may be cheaper. But I’ve just checked eBay and wow !
I thought I paid over the odds at £110 a few years back but it’s almost treble that now.

Regarding Shining Force III I seem to remember someone was working on a translation patch ? You will need either a modded Saturn or the Backup Unlocker cartridge.

Translation patch? Like... a cartridge that converts japanese to english? Is it some sort of 'download?' Happen to know anything else about that?

Sut

Postby Sut » November 6th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Alucard1191 wrote:Translation patch? Like... a cartridge that converts japanese to english? Is it some sort of 'download?' Happen to know anything else about that?

I patched my Saturn Policenauts to English. It’s a lengthy process which sounds more complicated than it actually is, you’ve just got to follow the instructions carefully.

In a nutshell:
Rip your discs onto your PC
Download and apply the English patch to the game image
Re-burn the new patched game images to CD
Your game now has English text.

However this is all dependent on your Saturn being able to play back ups either via mod or the backup unlocker cartridge.

http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com

Here’s the link for the Shining Force 3 translation project.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » November 6th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:The Atari Cosmos. I believe there are only 3 in existence, and one went for $20K. Just a cool backstory to the system.

I'd forgotten about the Cosmos! How could I do that? That world be a great find; they apparent;y mad a few thousand of 'em, but never released them. People who saw them at a trade show weren't impressed; they probably thought it would be something like Princess Leia's hologram in Star Wars. Atari took truckloads off to some unknown location, hopefully they weren't crushed and dumped. :(

History: http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/d ... osmos.html

Ever here of the Atari Specter? Another similar system which looks really cool: http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/d ... ector.html

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » November 7th, 2017, 7:24 pm

An Atari 2000 would be nice. They were test marketed, I do believe, but only a handful have turned up.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/c ... a2000.html

http://www.atarihq.com/museum/2678/cx2k.html

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 9th, 2017, 6:11 pm

I'm seeing tons of love here for Panzer Dragoon Saga and I'm liking it. It's in my top 3 all-time, so I definitely agree that it's a game worth playing. I haven't played the game in like 15 years though, so I really need to pull my copy out someday and see how it holds up.

David wrote:I would love to play Panzer Dragoon Saga but I just checked the prices and it’s a little out of control. I swear maybe 7-8 years ago you could get a complete copy for $200, but now they’re three times the price. If I ever were to buy it, I’d probably just sell it after I was finished and recoup my losses.

Yeah, the first copy I owned was in 2002, and it cost me $100 on ebay. And people thought I was crazy then, because that was unheard of for a used video game (I feel like, back then, you could count the number of $100+ games on one hand). I was just a broke kid, so I beat it and resold my copy shortly after for $100 on ebay. Around 2006 or so, I got my current copy. I got it in a huge lot of Saturn stuff, so there was no set price, but I do remember looking up the individual price and it was worth around $200. So it's definitely shot up a lot since then, as have all other Saturn games (and we thought they were bad then...).

Also, to second what David said, have you guys thought about "renting" Panzer Dragoon Saga? That's my term for buying a game on ebay, playing through it quickly, and reselling it on ebay to get your money back. You take a hit for a month or two, but hopefully recoup the loss afterward. It's a short RPG (20 hours or less), so it's doable. Worth considering.. Repro copy is another option.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » November 9th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Want to give a shout out to links for english patching for Shining Force III. That seems very easy to do, (Rip CD, apply downloaded patch, burn new CD, have cartridge thing that lets you play burned games.) and I greatly appreciate being pointed in that direction. My cousin bought them years and printed out a translation that he had in a binder next to him while he played. I tried it once... and never got past the first fight. An english translation will finally let me experience these fantastic games. I'm assuming that the SFIII burnt versions will read the SFIII file for terms of character/past campaign rewards? (I know from reading walkthroughs that there are events you have to do in part one to unlock characters in parts 2 and 3)

Thanks again for the help!

/Now to put aside 500+ for Panzer Dragoon Saga....

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 10th, 2017, 7:24 am

+1 vote for the repro option.

You can try out the Saturn library for under $100. I ordered the gizmo that lets you play the cds and a few repro cds from the same guy. I ordered Policenauts, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Saturn Bomberman all for about $100. Totally worth it.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » November 24th, 2017, 5:58 pm

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... rev=search

Looks like the Casio PV-1000 shows up on Yahoo Japan Auctions fairly often. 10,000 to 38,000 Yen or:

$89.63-$340.60 USD
$113.94-$432.987 CND
$117.704-$447.27 Australian Dollars
67.23 - 255.4751 British Pounds

Not sure what it would be like trying to order something from someone in another country tho.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » November 27th, 2017, 7:16 am

my personal holy grail item is a Game Previewer by Imagic. It's a tabletop kiosk of sorts for stores selling Atari 2600 games. You can see an add for it here:
http://www.atarimania.com/pubs/hi_res/imagic_game_previewer_ad.jpg

I love Imagic games on the 2600 and would love to fill this thing with their games (and a few other choice favorites)

Return to “Classic Gaming”