Framemeister

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Herschie

Framemeister

Postby Herschie » December 5th, 2017, 11:33 am

Ok, so old tvs area pain. They don't work very well, they're big, they're heavy. I would like to simply have everything go to my one 4K tv in the mancave.

But we all know that the N64 and Genesis look like crap on newer TVs I'm tempted to spring for the Framemeister, because I've heard good things about it. But how does it work? Do you just plug in your system, and Framemeister makes it look pretty? Does it work for all systems, namely the Genesis and N64?

I was thinking of getting a few systems modded, but for the price of doing that, I might as well spring for the Framemeister.

Gentlegamer

Re: Framemeister

Postby Gentlegamer » December 5th, 2017, 2:40 pm

If you're not going to play on CRT, may as well emulate on your LCD screen. Far easier.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » December 11th, 2017, 10:03 am

I have a Framemeister and I love it! I have a modest sized basement, so having a big CRT is not an option for me. Plus, I like using just 1 tv for all of my video gaming needs.

This website below has all of the recommended settings which I use on mine:

http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html Also, try looking at Youtube videos from My Life in Gaming, they have some great information on using framemeister with most systems.

Basically use just load all of the settings from that website onto your Framemeister.

To answer your question, yes, you can use almost all videogame systems on the Framemeister.

The Framemeister is expensive, but for me it was worth it. My retro games look absolutely fantastic on my HDTV. I would suggest using RGB cables for your systems, as that is the highest video quality you can get. A lot of systems support RGB natively, with no modding needed such as SNES, Genesis, and Master System. I modded my NES to support RGB (NES is my most used system) and the $200 to mod it was absolutely worth it to me.

I would definately suggest watching videos from My Life in Gaming for further information. Their videos are fantastic, and give great side by side comparisons of the various video outputs.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 11th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:If you're not going to play on CRT, may as well emulate on your LCD screen. Far easier.

Using original hardware upscaled via Framemeister may have less lag than emulation. I don't know.

Also, N64 emulation still isn't very good.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 11th, 2017, 9:54 pm

Is RGB the same an component cables?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 11th, 2017, 9:54 pm

Is RGB the same an component cables?

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » December 11th, 2017, 10:42 pm

RGB is the source, component is an encoding to deliver it to the display device. Unless you're using SCART or parallel port, component is how to get the RGB to the screen.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » December 12th, 2017, 9:47 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Is RGB the same an component cables?

No, they're not. Component is 1 step down from RGB. In terms of quality, from worse to best: RF, composite, S-Video, Component, RBG.

This is a great video that explains the Framemeister and RGB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43dzrCAfU3A

They do a great job is explaining what rgb is and how the Framemeister works.

Just beware, it can lead you down a rabbit hole!! Once I heard about the framemeister and how to get the best images from my systems I started modding and buying rgb cables, etc. It's a slippery slope!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 17th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Just paid 39,310 Yen for this bad boy. Should arrive next week with expedited shipping. Can't wait!

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » January 17th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Herschie wrote:Just paid 39,310 Yen for this bad boy. Should arrive next week with expedited shipping. Can't wait!

Really hoping you enjoy it (sounds expensive!) and also hoping you provide a review once you use this thing for awhile. I'm sticking to using a CRT for my retro gaming but am curious about what I would be looking at it terms of buying the framemeister, paying to mod my consoles, and purchasing RGB cables etc. Sounds like a bit much for me, but then again I don't know any better! :lol:

Return to “Classic Gaming”