North and South

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

North and South

Postby matmico399 » December 17th, 2017, 11:54 am

I grew up with this game on my C64. I really enjoyed it a lot as a teen. It wasn’t until a few years ago I realized it was also available as an nes cart. Needless to say that old 64 is long gone. Well it’s not super expensive but it’s not at all cheap either.it goes for around $50 on eBay. Kinda pricey for an old game.

So last night I was bored and looking at the XBox 360 store. I didn’t think they would have it but lo and behold they did. $10. Still cartoony graphics but much improved. I like Dave am not a big download guy. I like physical copies. I have only downloaded two games before. Costume Quest for $15 I think, and well worth it. And the old Tron arcade game for $5. At ten bucks I couldn’t resist. So now I am enjoying the old classic. Just a heads up to those who have fond memories of the game or those that are interested.

Retro STrife

Re: North and South

Postby Retro STrife » December 17th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Thanks for the heads up, matmico. North & South for the NES has been on my very short list of games that I constantly remind the VGC that he needs to try whenever he asks for recommendations. It's a hidden gem on the NES and a great multiplayer game. Despite mentioning it for about 10 years, he hasn't ever expressed interest in it, so I'm not sure if this will change it. It would be good to see his review on it. If not, hopefully this gets some other people to try it out. Great game; I enjoyed playing as a kid and still like pulling out in short spurts from time to time.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » December 18th, 2017, 6:24 am

I absolutely LOVE North and South on the NES. I had no clue that there was a recent remake. Looking at the reviews on Steam it seams it's a bit lacking and took quite a thrashing from fans of the original. I'm debating waiting for this latest version to go on sale before throwing money at it or buying a vintage copy of North and South for my Atari ST computer...leaning more towards picking it up for the ST at the moment.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 18th, 2017, 8:09 am

Atari You can download one level for free to see if You like it.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » December 18th, 2017, 9:23 pm

matmico399 wrote:Atari You can download one level for free to see if You like it.

You can do that on Steam?

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 19th, 2017, 10:12 am

From the XBox store. Got it on my 360.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 19th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Just to clarify, in your original post, I thought that you meant that the original North & South was released on the Xbox 360 marketplace. After seeing the more recent posts, I looked into further and realized that you're actually referring to a remake of the original game- the remake is called "The Bluecoats: North vs. South", and was released on 360, PS3, and PC in 2015/2016. Despite loving the original, I've never heard of this new one, so thanks for the heads up!

I'll definitely have to download a demo of it and give it a shot. However, based on the screenshots and a couple negative reviews I've read, I'm not too optimistic. For someone new to the series, I'd rather them play the original rather than judge the series based on the remake. The original looks to have more charm, and it's easier to disregard any deficiencies when you play the old game (since it is a fairly simplistic strategy game). But I'll be sure to play the demo first, rather than assuming it's bad. As for people looking for the original, the NES was the only console release, so that's the easiest way to play it (though it also was released on certain old computers).

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 19th, 2017, 2:52 pm

For anyone interested that hasn't heard of these games before, here's a review of the NES version (with screenshots):

http://www.defunctgames.com/review/1032/north-south

And a review of the remake (with screenshots):

http://worthplaying.com/article/2012/8/ ... ews/86835/

It's that latter review that's leading me to worry that the remake doesn't stack up to the original.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 19th, 2017, 10:01 pm

I'm adding it to my list.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 19th, 2017, 11:22 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm adding it to my list.

Lol, nice! Good to hear. Peer pressure pays off again. Just be sure to try it with 2-players too.

Return to “Classic Gaming”