What to do with old video game consoles

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

What to do with old video game consoles

Postby scotland » December 27th, 2017, 6:02 pm

https://kotaku.com/what-to-do-with-your-old-video-game-consoles-1821603616/amp

Saw this article on Kotaku and it made me sad. Advice on what to do when you got a new console for Christmas. The advice goes from sell it, use it for parts or a hobby project, make it into a DVD player, give to some kid who will still play old games, or trash it the most eco friendly way you can find.

Never does it say keep it - save it - protect it. It's like old sneakers basically.

Just kinda made me grim. Maybe modern consoles really are like most computers. Just upgrade and never look back.

ActRaiser

Re: What to do with old video game consoles

Postby ActRaiser » December 27th, 2017, 7:26 pm

No offense to millenials but did you see the picture of the author? She looks like she's 12. It's hard to take anyone that looks like she's in junior high seriously.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 27th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Sadly my youngest nephew is that way. I just want the newest! But I am happy to say my 17 year old son luvs games all the way back to the NES. He has a Genesis and some other classic consoles. But He won’t play my 2600 except for Berzerk and Adventure. Oh and he likes Warlords a bit.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 27th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Yeah, that's a painful read. When "the environment" is your only reason for not trashing your console, who can have any respect for your opinion...

I also dislike her advocacy for the "pawn shop" method of selling your consoles (whether it be Gamestop, or online pawn methods), since it's basically advocating for people to get ripped off. To each his own, but I think it's crazy and bad finances to do that rather than selling your own stuff (like on ebay, Amazon, Craigslist, etc).

Otherwise, I'm fine with hand-me-downs and donations, and the other ideas on her list.... but the problem is that the whole article has an underlying tone of disdain for "obsolete" past-gen consoles, as if they're just cluttering up the world.

The article had me worried that everyone thought like that except us.... but read the comments section, and fortunately many people note that she left out the "keep it" option.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 3rd, 2018, 5:37 pm

Reminds me of this old Popular Mechanics article. The magazine brought in 3 teenage boys to help them test the PS2, Xbox, and GameCube...

'These guys have been waiting for the new consoles since the middle of last year. "Richie had a timer counting down the days until the Xbox came out," says Elliot Goldstein, Richard's dad. "And we made him sell his other game system on eBay before we bought the Xbox." Listen up parents. There's wisdom in those words.'

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... 4/1278831/

Horrified me when I read it 15 years ago, and it still bothers me today. Of course, if other folks didn't have this attitude, I wouldn't be gotten a PSX around that time. ;)

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 4th, 2018, 12:52 am

Personally i hollow or all my old systems and fashion the case into a hat, but her list has some fine options as well. You know, aside from keeping it and passing it down to your children one day.

Return to “Classic Gaming”