Bally Astrocade multicart

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Bally Astrocade multicart

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 15th, 2018, 12:15 pm

I just realized it has been two years since I posted new Bally Astrocade reviews. That's too long considering what a great system it is. Plus I have UltiMulti 2.00 with loads of games I haven't reviewed yet.

The problem is, most of these don't load. I believe the ones labeled at BRB require extra RAM or something like that. Also, many are multi-stage loads as a result of originally being on tape. But these aren't working for me. The screen will say "change switches to 11100000 and press =" but when I does nothing happens. Not sure if there's a problem with my multicart or some other requirement I'm not aware of.

Some of the games I could get to work were very simple games probably written in BASIC. For the most part I don't include these, although I might be willing to make an exception here and there.

After playing around with this all morning I managed to find and review three games I had never played before. I'll be posting those soon, but not sure there's anything left after this. If anyone has any advice let me know. Are there any new Astrocade home brews I should be aware of?

Retro STrife

Re: Bally Astrocade multicart

Postby Retro STrife » January 15th, 2018, 12:55 pm

The Astrocade is one that's always eluded me, so I'm no help there, but I will look forward to the reviews. The Astrocade seems like one of the more niche systems on here, so hopefully someone here can help.

Speaking of droughts without reviews, I was just noticing that Game.com has the longest by far for you, stretching back to 2014. That's understandable considering how bad it is. You're close to a complete set of reviews, though. If you're interested, I believe the 5 you're missing are: Lights Out, Henry, Monopoly, Quiz Wiz: Cyber Trivia, and Wheel of Fortune 2. No gems there, but Lights Out may be the best in that set. All are cheap, except Wheel of Fortune 2, which is the rarest Game.com game. Sorry to go off topic, but god knows we don't need a dedicated Game.com topic...

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 15th, 2018, 3:53 pm

By the way, I'd also add that I agree with your general rule of not reviewing the simple games coded in BASIC. I like that you stick to official releases, along with released homebrews, prototypes, etc., rather than posting a review for a simple game that doesn't exist anywhere except on the multicart.

As for potential options, Wikipedia does mention a rare homebrew called ICBM Attack, if that happens to be on your multicart, as well as a prototype called Mazeman.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » January 15th, 2018, 4:57 pm

I’ve kept all my systems since I was a kid , and I had the astrocade, but I have no clue what happened to it, if it was lost in a move sometime growing up or anything, but still wish I had it !!

Return to “Classic Gaming”