A good video to watch on the PS2 about it graphics and why it is more CRT focused/has more jaggies then rivals.

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Stalvern

Re: A good video to watch on the PS2 about it graphics and why it is more CRT focused/has more jaggies then rivals.

Postby Stalvern » January 30th, 2018, 6:46 am

Sonicx9 wrote:Stalvern can you give me good PS2 exclusive game recommendations that I can not get anywhere else.

Sure. I haven't played all of these, but the ones I haven't are on my to-buy list.

The PS2 God of War games, SoulCalibur III, and Tekken 5 are all excellent games that run in 480p, so you definitely want to look into them.

The Jak and Daxter games are really good, basically a somewhat more serious Ratchet & Clank that wasn't made into a movie you disliked. The second and third games also run in 480p.

Never played the Sly Cooper games, but I'd feel bad about not mentioning them too.

The Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit II is the best racing game ever. And the original PS2 game is the only one worth anyone's time - if you get the reverse-engineered (not ported) GameCube version, you're just burning your money.

Other PS2 racing games that I've been meaning to get into are Downhill Domination, Motorstorm: Arctic Edge (I already love Pacific Rift on the PS3), and the previously mentioned OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, another game that runs in 480p.

Silent Hill 2 and the original Fatal Frame are landmarks of horror.

Really want to play the renowned R-Type Final, as I love the older R-Type games.

The Critic's review of Firefighter F.D. 18 wasn't all that enthusiastic, but it definitely got me interested.

I don't have much of an opinion on Rygar: The Legendary Adventure, as I haven't played that one either, but going by the review here, there are probably worse ways to get a God of War fix on the PS2 after beating those games. It doesn't look anywhere near as good, but it came out years earlier.
Last edited by Stalvern on January 30th, 2018, 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

scotland

Re: A good video to watch on the PS2 about it graphics and why it is more CRT focused/has more jaggies then rivals.

Postby scotland » January 30th, 2018, 8:02 am

ptdebate wrote:I think y'all are onto something.

I noticed on Amazon that a lot of PS2 games are still available brand new and not very expensive! Maybe we should get ahead of the curve and start collecting PS2.

Alas, maybe not.

The PS2 had a long tail on its life, already obsolete but still heavily played in 2005-2007. The PS3 had serious launch issues, while the Xbox 360 had RROD issues. All the games were physical, and Gamestop was doing a brisk business. I bought a bunch of PS2 titles during this period, and I am probably not atypical. Many of those PS2 games, 10 years later, have seldom seen the light outside their plastic cases.

I am thinking the PS2 may not follow the same 'second life's pattern, at least for the games. Rare ones will still be rare, but otherwise many games will be plentiful. Of course, being optical media and not cartridges, maybe I am wrong - maybe many discs will exit the marketplace from damage.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 30th, 2018, 10:21 am

Sonicx9 wrote:Stalvern can you give me good PS2 exclusive game recommendations that I can not get anywhere else.

I like Sut and Stalvern's lists (though, Sonicx9, you've really excluded a lot of classic games with your guidelines), so instead I'll just throw out another one of my statistics.

According to GameRankings, the PS2 has 48 games that received aggregrate review scores that averaged at or above 90% (based on games with at least 20 reviews). That's the highest of any system. The Gamecube, by comparison, had 18. Dreamcast had 12. Xbox had 21. Wii has 11. The DS had 6; and 3DS has 6; while PSP had 3. The next closest to the PS2 is the Xbox 360 (another great contender for best game lineup ever), and the X360 has 36 games with 90% or higher average scores (not counting download-only titles, which would add 6 more).

Obviously not every one of those 48 PS2 games is a classic these days, but I still think it speaks volumes about the quality of the PS2's library, both then and now.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 30th, 2018, 11:43 am

scotland wrote:Alas, maybe not.

The PS2 had a long tail on its life, already obsolete but still heavily played in 2005-2007. The PS3 had serious launch issues, while the Xbox 360 had RROD issues. All the games were physical, and Gamestop was doing a brisk business. I bought a bunch of PS2 titles during this period, and I am probably not atypical. Many of those PS2 games, 10 years later, have seldom seen the light outside their plastic cases.

I am thinking the PS2 may not follow the same 'second life's pattern, at least for the games. Rare ones will still be rare, but otherwise many games will be plentiful. Of course, being optical media and not cartridges, maybe I am wrong - maybe many discs will exit the marketplace from damage.

I dk, I would never bet against nostalgia. I've learned that lesson. For example, I thought Genesis games and PS1 games would both always be cheap, since their "second lives" got off to slow starts and didn't seem popular among retro gamers. But they've both been climbing in demand and price these past few years. I wouldn't bet against the PS2 having the same trend, though we may be a good 5-10 years away from it still. However, I do agree with you that if any system breaks the rule it would be the PS2, and either way, I don't expect the same sort of boom with the PS2 that we saw with, say, SNES prices. While I agree about the PS2 having a good supply of games, many other systems do too.. so it ends up being the demand that fluctuates the prices for popular systems, rather than the supply. We just have to get a few years further out before the PS2 nostalgia kicks in stronger, which should heighten demand. Admittedly though, the older I (we?) get, the harder it is to have a good feel for these things. The 90s nostalgia, I can follow along with pretty well. But I wasn't a youth when I owned a PS2; I was older by the time I bought one.. it's the kids that were 12 when they owned it and are now 24 that will drive the retro market for it.

Out of curiosity though, I just did a check of a few classic PS2 games on PriceCharting.com (which only has data back to 2007). I see a steep drop in prices from 2007 to 2010, as the first life faded away. I then see a total plateau of prices from 2010-2015, which is the period of disinterest that occurs after first life. Then from 2015 to present there has been a very gradual increase, maybe a couple dollars for each game. Is this the early sign of second life forming? Or just a general increase for inflation or retro games in general? Too early to tell, but worth keeping an eye on.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 30th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Sut wrote:Shinobi & Nightshade
Gran Turismo 3&4
GTA Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories (you can’t tell me GTA games are realistic !)
R-Type Final

Baldurs Gate II Dark Alliance (action RPG)
Out Run 2 Coast 2 Coast (you don’t want an Xbox, so to me these count otherwise it’s a loaded question)

To name a few from my collection, my favourite PS2 game is Metal Gear Solid 2 but you’ve stated you don’t want to include it, but again it’s far from realistic with vampire bosses and what not.

Shinobi is on the PS3 via PS2 Classics line so that should be easy, but for Nightshade wish it was on the PS2 Classics line for either PS3 or PS4 but nothing is official yet.

For Gran Turismo 3&4, I prefer Arcade/unrealistic/cartoony/kart racers type not the realistic sim one, but that just me.

GTA Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories are both on the PS2 Classics line for both PS3 and PS4, but GTA is not my cup of tea.

R-Type Final would love to get this on PS2 Classics for PS3 and/or PS4, but because of Irem removing itself from PSN in the wake of the infamous tsunami earthquake in Japan back in 2011. I will have to get it physical.

Baldurs Gate II Dark Alliance (action RPG) not a bad choice, a little on the rare/expensive side but I will consider it.

OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast another one I will consider tracking down.

As for Metal Gear Solid 2 I have the PS3 HD collection more for the MSX Metal Gear games.

Stalvern wrote:

Sure. I haven't played all of these, but the ones I haven't are on my to-buy list.

The PS2 God of War games, SoulCalibur III, and Tekken 5 are all excellent games that run in 480p, so you definitely want to look into them.

The Jak and Daxter games are really good, basically a somewhat more serious Ratchet & Clank that wasn't made into a movie you disliked. The second and third games also run in 480p.

Never played the Sly Cooper games, but I'd feel bad about not mentioning them too.

The Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit II is the best racing game ever. And the original PS2 game is the only one worth anyone's time - if you get the reverse-engineered (not ported) GameCube version, you're just burning your money.

Other PS2 racing games that I've been meaning to get into are Downhill Domination, Motorstorm: Arctic Edge (I already love Pacific Rift on the PS3), and the previously mentioned OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, another game that runs in 480p.

Silent Hill 2 and the original Fatal Frame are landmarks of horror.

Really want to play the renowned R-Type Final, as I love the older R-Type games.

The Critic's review of Firefighter F.D. 18 wasn't all that enthusiastic, but it definitely got me interested.

I don't have much of an opinion on Rygar: The Legendary Adventure, as I haven't played that one either, but going by the review here, there are probably worse ways to get a God of War fix on the PS2 after beating those games. It doesn't look anywhere near as good, but it came out years earlier.

God of War games or on the PS3 via HD collections so that get them covered there, SoulCalibur III would have been awesome for a HD remaster or a PSN PS2 classics for either PS3 or PS4, but that not bad choice. Tekken 5 I have the updated PS3 download Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, but the PS2 Tekken 5 does have lots of cool extra content worth checking out, just wish that version was on PS2 classics for either PS3 or PS4 along with Tekken 4, and Tag Tournament 1 is on the PS3 so that get one of them coverd.

I have both the HD collections for Jak and Daxter and Sly Cooper so that get them covered.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit II is different from PS2 to the other versions so that can count, Downhill Domination is one to consider for me.

I have the original Fatal Frame and #3 on PS3 via PS2 classics so that get it covered, and for Silent Hill 2 the PS2 version is better then the hot garbage PS3 HD version so that the way to go.

Firefighter F.D. 18 looks intresting so I will check it out, just wish it had a PSN PS2 classics version for either PS3 or PS4.

Rygar: The Legendary Adventure is on the PS3 via the PSN PS2 classics line so that one to consider getting, their is also a Wii remake port under the name Rygar: The Battle of Argus but has motion controls so I might get the original version via PSN on PS3 and maybe the later Wii remake port if I like the game enough.

So far good choices but some of them are on HD collections and/or PS2 classics line via the PS3 and PS4 so more recommendations would be welcomed.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » February 18th, 2018, 9:04 am

A little off-topic, but I notice I feel toward the Switch much like I do toward the PS2 right now. Anyone else getting this feeling? It has games people are raving about, but every time I play it, I feel like I'm playing either some android tablet or a third party Ps4 or something. I know it's "quirky" and "novel" apparently, but I'm not feeling it at all. The controller (in TV mode) feels light and cheap, and the special pro-controller like one feels like the most generic thing ever made. I don't know. I think maybe I'm missing something, but right now, in the same way people say the PS2 has the personality of a VCR, I feel like the Switch has the personality of a Goggle Chrome stick.

Return to “Classic Gaming”