RetroUSB AVS?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ptdebate

RetroUSB AVS?

Postby ptdebate » February 8th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Has anyone tried this NES clone?

It's a machine that uses a type of hardware that emulates the exact functions of the NES chips, allegedly resulting in greater accuracy than software emulation.

I'm considering it as an alternative to the more expensive Analogue Nt, which uses the same type of hardware but instead houses it within a machined aluminum body, hence the cost.

I need a way to play (and review) NES games without resorting to a CRT, which I do not have room for.

scotland

Re: RetroUSB AVS?

Postby scotland » February 8th, 2018, 7:52 pm

So, the Analogue is one of these FPGA systems, and so is this RetroUSB AVS, is that right?

A System on a Chip system is only going to give you composite A/V out (correct me if I'm wrong). Software Emulation like the Retron 5 will get you the HDMI too. I can understand not wanting to go that route though.

As for reviewing the game, as long as the system has composite A/V out, you can run simple video capture into your laptop. So, you can play NES games on original hardware if you want. Is that not an option?

ptdebate

Re: RetroUSB AVS?

Postby ptdebate » February 8th, 2018, 8:19 pm

scotland wrote:So, the Analogue is one of these FPGA systems, and so is this RetroUSB AVS, is that right?

A System on a Chip system is only going to give you composite A/V out (correct me if I'm wrong). Software Emulation like the Retron 5 will get you the HDMI too. I can understand not wanting to go that route though.

As for reviewing the game, as long as the system has composite A/V out, you can run simple video capture into your laptop. So, you can play NES games on original hardware if you want. Is that not an option?

That is my understanding, yes. Unfortunately, the composite from a standard NES does not work well with my TV, and I don't really want to play the games on my laptop. Virtual Console is not helpful because it lacks too many titles. So basically that's why I landed on the AVS. I would like the Analogue because it's nicer, but $450 is a hard sell. Plus they're out of stock right now.

Return to “Classic Gaming”