Scotland! O2 help!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

Scotland! O2 help!

Postby matmico399 » February 18th, 2018, 9:13 pm

I like my O2 very much. But I just rehooked it up to an old crtv. It looks horrible though. Any ideas on better connections?

scotland

Re: Scotland! O2 help!

Postby scotland » February 19th, 2018, 6:07 am

I would look at the RF cable and connections first. If you open it up, you will find the cable is just plugged into a regular jack inside the housing. Its easy to clean or replace the cable. You'll see the O2 cable has very little RF shielding, and its probably even corroded. It may also be bent on a horrible angle going into that RF box in the corner. Its very possible that its now just a bad connection due to that cable, and a new RCA cable might fix.

Its tight, but you may be able to just plug in a better quality better shielded RCA cable. (Maybe even drill a hole near that RF box so the bend is not so horrible) You probably have some from audio equipment lying around. Get a new phone to F adapter too (they are cheap) if you are still using an old RF tv game box.

Here is a walkthru - no soldering needed. This guide may not mention it, but inspect the unit when its open. Clean the jacks, (be careful with electronics / contact cleaners on the O2 plastic) and check the caps, remove dust with compressed air, etc.

http://www.ozyr.com/o2/tvcordhk.html

Try this first, and I will hope it corrects most of the signal issue. I always use channel 3, but maybe try the other channel in case that channel is not clear. There were 2 variants of Odyssey 2, and one has a different RF cable, but I think either variant can have its RF cable replaced pretty easily.

By the way, there is a O2 AV mod now. Its funny, but the Odyssey 2 really generates composite video and analog audio, but then that RF box in the corner convert it to RF. My soldering skills are horrible, but I want to try it myself. I'd like to get all my consoles off RF if I can. The mod kit is just $30.

http://www.retrofixes.com/2016/04/magnavox-odyssey-2-av-composite-kit.html

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » February 19th, 2018, 4:35 pm

While I am no Scotland, my O2 is the only gaming system that I use an old VCR to run it through and it works well (just in case you do not wish to attempt to open up a 40 year old electronic device.) Best of luck!

scotland

Postby scotland » February 19th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Yeah - anybody pitch in here with any insight on the old RF systems.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 19th, 2018, 6:29 pm

Matmico - can you take a snapshot of the screen and post it? I'd like to know if it's blurry, static-y, etc. Does it have color? Do you get sound? Are you using an old switchbox?

matmico399

Odyssey 2 Help...Scotland!

Postby matmico399 » February 19th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Of course anyone that can chime in plz help. But Scotland seems to be the O2 expert here. Finally rehooked up my console after a long time. It’s playing fine but using the old O2 box is a nightmare, even on an old CRTV. The picture is so so fuzzy. Advice on how to make it look great on an old Crtv or possible even a flat screen? Thanks!

scotland

Re: Odyssey 2 Help...Scotland!

Postby scotland » February 19th, 2018, 7:51 pm

matmico399 wrote: using the old O2 box is a nightmare

If you are still using the vintage game switch box, that's the first thing I would ditch.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » February 19th, 2018, 8:04 pm

Where would you get a new switch box? Last one we bought came from RadioShack, over 10 years ago.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » February 21st, 2018, 12:13 pm

Critic I will try getting a pic of the screenshot tonight. Sound is fine just super fuzzy pic. Scotland any idea on where to get another type of switchbox?

Return to “Classic Gaming”