Tony Hawk's Pro Skater vs Skate

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater vs Skate

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 27th, 2018, 1:37 pm

I used to love THPS, but I know that the Skate games stole a lot of their thunder. I've even heard some people say it's Skate's fault that Pro Skater games stopped coming out. I've never played Skate before, though. What do you guys think, is Skate really better? What exactly makes it better?

CharlieR

Re: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater vs Skate

Postby CharlieR » February 28th, 2018, 3:56 pm

The Skate series is “better” due to more realism, if that’s what you like. Environments in THPS 4, for example, like the Zoo and Carnival, probably wouldn’t show up in a Skate game. Also, THPS is a good enough depiction of skateboarding without being too realistic. For example, you could hit a small kicker ramp with decent and launch 20 feet in the THPS games, but you wouldn’t be able to do that in the Skate games, because of the realism.

Also, the same challenge in Skate would take me a few seconds in THPS because I find the controls to be awkward in Skate. For example, you hold own a button for speed in THPS, and release it to ollie, and press another button to grind. Playing Skate with a PS3 controller, you hold down x for speed, and flick the right analog stick to jump. There is no grind button, and you must land perfectly on a ledge to grind it. I find this to be awkward, and I seem to lose a lot of speed doing this.

However, the same game with Wii controls I did fine with, when I played Skate It. You move with the nunchuk analog stick, and flick the wii remote to jump. I finished this game pretty easily on the wii, and I think it probably has to do with not playing on a standard controller, where the main moveset is mapped to one side of the controller.

Overall, I think the THPS series is legendary, and Skate is good in its own right. I find the gameplay in the THPS series way more addictive, but that’s a personal preference. Some may like Skate due to the realism. I’d recommend Skate it on the wii due to the controls if you want to try out the series.

Return to “Classic Gaming”