Design a system for 1990

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
pacman000

Design a system for 1990

Postby pacman000 » February 28th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Saw this on AtariAge. Thought it might be fun here:

Your goal is to design the most powerful game system possible in 1990, costing no more than $300, with games costing no more than $100. The more rediculously detailed your post is, the better.
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/159269 ... ld-you-do/

Include tech specs, marketing ideas, game lineups, etc.

matmico399

Re: Design a system for 1990

Postby matmico399 » March 2nd, 2018, 5:03 pm

This requires way too much thought and it’s Friday evening and I’m drinking and gaming.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 2nd, 2018, 8:03 pm

Is it ridiculously detailed enough if I just copy and paste the Wikipedia page on the Neo Geo?

Edit: I guess the Neo Geo didn't cost $300. Pretend I said the SNES instead.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 2nd, 2018, 11:24 pm

the part that caught me was "games costing no more than $100". I'm thinking Phantasy Star at about $70 was the most expensive game of that time, and that was pretty rare.

For $300, I was thinking of ripping on the PC Engine - battery save, composite video out, use ROM cartridges so you could spruce up the board, at least two controller ports.

For games, could you make a 16bit Guitar Hero game? I don't particularly like guitar hero, but it was a thing. Bongo games. Go for broke, and create a whole line of musical instrument controllers - the Sax controller, the bagpiper controller - how else are your games going to cost $100

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » March 3rd, 2018, 10:55 am

Lol Stalvern You always make me laugh. Scotland as always You are so knowledgeable.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 27th, 2018, 11:01 am

My dream machine for 1990? After thinking it over for 5 minutes (like many actual hardware manufacturers.) -

Twin 68000 cpus, clocked at the highest speed we can get under cost, and with just enough ram to allow them to smoothly share the workload together, instead of the extra complexity being a handicap, the way it was for the Saturn. Basically, almost the same set up as Sega's super scaler titles in the arcade. In theory, it should also be able to handle raycasting engines and smooth polygons for the time.

Except we cut everything else we can. Completely. There's no other way to get this in under cost.

We even put the soundchips on the carts, with the understanding that no game will even boot up without one - our machine will check. On the more consumer friendly side,there's slots available for slight performance upgrades, ala the N64's expansion pack - including the soundchips themselves, if you need the reassurance beyond our lock-out system, or have a specific preference for one type of sound over another.

It's kind of important, because we're about to lose control of the entire process, and I'd hate to imagine players getting [ over by this design the way 7800 owners did.

Because, somehow, we totally forgot to patent or trademark our machines. Suddenly, anyone can undercut us on the part of the console game that loses money. Prices will drop dramatically, people will chose their favorite manufacturers...

Or at least, the ones they can afford...

And we'll be forced to just make state of the art software/game engines, while selling upgrades to these machines, kind of like other companies I've heard of....

Also, with enough demand for 68000 chips driving the manufacturing costs way down, we might look at expanding our format beyond consoles. It's not like PCs were taken seriously as gaming machines yet, and just wait until we look at mobile... ;)

Mind you, I have no idea what I'm talking about - I'm just a guy who really wanted affordable arcade style sprites for a generation, before we moved on to polygons.

Return to “Classic Gaming”