Sega CD Owners!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

Sega CD Owners!

Postby matmico399 » March 13th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Do You have a bottom loader or a side loader. I went to a retro game store and talked with the guys behind the counter. Good, talkable, friendly gents. They were absolutely astonished I had a bottom loader and both said they had never seen one in person. They had seen just about every console including a Vectrex, an in store working Colecovision and others. So which Sega CD owners have bottom loaders? I know they are somewhat rare, but that rare?!

scotland

Re: Sega CD Owners!

Postby scotland » March 13th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Side loader here.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 13th, 2018, 6:38 pm

I have both, but usually use the bottom loaded. Had it for a long time so no idea how rare they are.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 13th, 2018, 7:13 pm

That's funny that they had never seen one before. I agree with you about them being harder to find, but not that rare.

As for me, I have both too, but I got my bottom loader first and always use that one (I actually call it a "front loader" since the disc loads in the front, and I refer to the side loader as a "top loader").

I got my Sega CD sometime around 2010. I bought Snatcher before the system, since I found it really cheap, and that motivated to get the system. I actually bought a top loader first on ebay, but it scratched a ring around my Snatcher disc!! I was so pissed that I sent the system back to the guy for a refund (fortunately Snatcher still worked). After that, I insisted on buying a front loader, which is what I've always used since then. A couple years ago, I got a top loader in a large lot of systems that I bought from a friend, so I've kept it as a backup. But I've never even plugged it in.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 13th, 2018, 8:53 pm

Don't you guys love the theme music that comes up when you turn on your Sega CD? It really gets me psyched up to play. Both versions have a slightly different theme, but they both kick ass.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 13th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Yeah, now that you mention it. Never thought of that before. Now there's something that you just don't get with systems nowadays - great start up screens.

djc

Postby djc » March 14th, 2018, 12:23 am

I own the first-gen (bottom loader), second-gen (top loader), and CDX units. Of all three, the CDX is my favorite due to its portability with the first-gen a very close second.

I think there were some reliability issues with the first-gen units as when mine stopped working, I actually called Sega and took it to an authorized repair facility. The person doing the repair told me he knew "for sure" it was the ribbon cable because it was happening to a lot of them. Needless to say he changed the cable and it didn't fix the unit :) He then explored further and found a bad capacitor which he changed and that got the unit up and running and it's been trouble-free since.

On a more sentimental note, the first-gen was the first "next gen" game system I ever owned as my parents bought it for me (along with a Genesis) when it was new on the market. Definitely one of the reasons why the Sega CD is one of my favorite systems.

Return to “Classic Gaming”