Saturn replacement cases

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Saturn replacement cases

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 25th, 2018, 7:53 pm

As many collectors will tell you, the problem with collecting games for systems like the Saturn is that their big "long box" plastic cases are prone to damage. Even if you find an otherwise the pristine Saturn title, the case is usually cracked or falling off of its hinge. That's why I was excited to order these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-CD ... Sw8CZa10M7

Got them today, and have mixed feelings. The good news is, the dimensions are right. They look just like brand new Saturn cases! They even come individually wrapped!

There is one gotcha however that was mentioned in the description. And that is that the front doors do not "latch" to the back. This is due to the fact that the little nub that catches on the back door is too small.

I don't think this is a big deal. Most people handle their games with care so there's little risk of swinging on the door open. And even if it does the disc is secure in the back. I guess the worst thing could happen is that the manual could slide out.

Anyway I'm going to try these out because I got a Saturn game off Ebay recently which I know for a fact has a broken case. With these extra cases I might also be able to get some deals on otherwise good games with cracked cases.

Retro STrife

Re: Saturn replacement cases

Postby Retro STrife » April 25th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Pretty nifty, thanks for sharing. For Saturn, my method over the years has always been to buy as many cheap sports games as possible, just for the cases. Even if it was a game I already had, I'd pay a few dollars just to use the case. So all my Saturn sports games have cracked up cases, because I swapped them off good games. Unfortunately, even bad sports games have gone up in price on the Saturn over time and sell for $5-$10. Not worth it anymore. Looks like these provide a good solution.

Verm3

Re: Saturn replacement cases

Postby Verm3 » April 26th, 2018, 1:23 pm

The U.S cases were far better than the E.U ones which were two plastic shells held together by cardboard.

For instance: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Saturn- ... SwbX1a12aB

Return to “Classic Gaming”