Neo Geo (Simple games)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
jon

Neo Geo (Simple games)

Postby jon » May 23rd, 2018, 8:41 pm

I was reading reviews for the Neo Geo games on the Switch and at least one reviewer wrote something like, even those these games are old and simple, with not nearly enough content to keep someone interested, they might be worth paying $8 for. Ok, so Neo Geo games are what, archaic, and totally not worth paying for because they don't have enough content? That's such garbage. So Neo Geo games don't pass the test to be modern enough and don't have quality. I found that abhorrent. So now great games from the past are being labeled as not worth paying for because they're not huge, realistic AAA games.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Neo Geo (Simple games)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 24th, 2018, 7:07 pm

This is a reflection of modern game thinking, which is that the whole point is "getting to the end".

In the old school, playing the game is a joy it of itself. That's why we can play old games over and over, indefinitely.

And it's not just about seeing everything a game has to offer, it's challenging the high score, which takes actual skill.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » May 24th, 2018, 7:17 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This is a reflection of modern game thinking, which is that the whole point is "getting to the end".

In the old school, playing the game is a joy it of itself. That's why we can play old games over and over, indefinitely.

And it's not just about seeing everything a game has to offer, it's challenging the high score, which takes actual skill.

Critic,
Ghost pilots is out on xbox1 via NEO GEO emulation. I remember it from the arcade, a superlative vertically scrolling shoot em up. So it might be out on the Switch also. It might be worth a punt. Though I guess it is going to be download only.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 26th, 2018, 12:34 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This is a reflection of modern game thinking, which is that the whole point is "getting to the end".

How modern is it, necessarily? I've been playing games since 1986 and I've NEVER cared about the score in and of itself. I care about the benefits of a high score (getting extra lives) but I've never seen the score itself as anything but an absurdity. On the other hand, I've always liked the idea of beating the game on a single credit (usually 3 lives) as a measure of skill, and I love it when a speedrunner uses a combination of physical skill and deep knowledge of a game (both the mechanics and unintended glitches) to beat a game faster than anyone else. Maybe other people would find those things equally meaningless? If a game is meant to be a vehicle for a personal experience then who am I to tell someone that they are "doing it wrong"?

jon

Postby jon » May 26th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Beating a game without using continues is what it's all about. Arcade games are really hard and it's so rewarding beating them without dying or using a continue. I've spent months on individual 8 and 16 bit games, including Neo Geo games, trying to beat them without dying, and when I did, it was as rewarding as any other video game accomplishment I can imagine. Realism has to be the most overrated thing I've ever heard in video games. These FPS games look so realistic, but it's so corny and ridiculous how it takes minutes of machine gun fire, if not an atomic bomb, to die. How much would people love "realism" in their games if one shot did the trick and they'd be rebooting the game every 5 seconds. And what the heck is the deal with body armor. So you can just wear like 500 pounds of body armor and take as much machine gun fire as you want. And then maybe have a cup of tea. That makes sense. To me, Metal Slug is more realistic than that. In Metal Slug, one shot and you're dead.

Return to “Classic Gaming”