Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy (PS4)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
JustLikeHeaven

Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy (PS4)

Postby JustLikeHeaven » May 30th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Man...what a breathe of fresh air these games are! Was it really that long ago when tough as nails, fun for everyone, platformers ruled gaming? I'd like a return to that.

These Crash remakes feature a beautiful HD face-lift, but retain the addictive gameplay and fiendish level design of the originals. I'll give you all a tip though...play these games with the D-Pad instead of the analog stick. It's how they were meant to be played as the analog stick is too loose for the precision platforming.

I love the tropical, tiki theme of this series. As the weather is getting warmer it makes me want to get into the season. The lush jungles and island temples are perfect for summer gaming. Plus, the soundtrack has a tribal surfer vibe that really sets the mood.

I've been reading how people think these games are too hard and I'm not seeing it. I think modern day gamers are too soft with their reliance on infinite lives, auto-saves, and immediate re-spawns. Crash Bandicoot has an old-school design philosophy and really feels like an evolution of the platformers from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras. While I merely enjoyed them back in the 90s I'm downright smitten with them now.

CharlieR

Re: Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy (PS4)

Postby CharlieR » May 30th, 2018, 2:23 pm

These games were really good. Crash 3 came out when I was in 5th grade, and it quickly became my favorite game in the series. I find it funny how after all these years, and mediocre to bad Crash games, they finally made a good one... and it's literally the same three games on the ps1, just with some new enhancements. Not that that's a bad thing, just interesting.

I have not played through all of the first game, which I hear is the hardest, but I didn't have any trouble with the other two games. I think you are right about the difficulty of the game, it seems just right to me, not too hard or too easy.

that's interesting about the d-pad. If and when I get a switch, I might get the game for it, but I do remember someone saying it will be harder to control with joycons.

Sonicx9

Re: Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy (PS4)

Postby Sonicx9 » May 30th, 2018, 2:52 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:Man...what a breathe of fresh air these games are! Was it really that long ago when tough as nails, fun for everyone, platformers ruled gaming? I'd like a return to that.

These Crash remakes feature a beautiful HD face-lift, but retain the addictive gameplay and fiendish level design of the originals. I'll give you all a tip though...play these games with the D-Pad instead of the analog stick. It's how they were meant to be played as the analog stick is too loose for the precision platforming.

I love the tropical, tiki theme of this series. As the weather is getting warmer it makes me want to get into the season. The lush jungles and island temples are perfect for summer gaming. Plus, the soundtrack has a tribal surfer vibe that really sets the mood.

I've been reading how people think these games are too hard and I'm not seeing it. I think modern day gamers are too soft with their reliance on infinite lives, auto-saves, and immediate re-spawns. Crash Bandicoot has an old-school design philosophy and really feels like an evolution of the platformers from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras. While I merely enjoyed them back in the 90s I'm downright smitten with them now.

I am getting Switch version when it comes out!

Return to “Classic Gaming”