Computer Games 1998-2000

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Stalvern

Re: Computer Games 1998-2000

Postby Stalvern » July 16th, 2018, 6:52 pm

C64_Critic wrote:
DrLitch wrote:In terms of hardware, consoles historically matched or exceeded typical contemporary gaming PC's.

I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with this statement, unless it's a typo and you meant literally the exact opposite :P

No kidding. For economic reasons alone, it has been impossible since the 486 era for a console to outclass a state-of-the-art PC even at launch, let alone after.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 17th, 2018, 10:56 pm

C64_Critic wrote:
DrLitch wrote:In terms of hardware, consoles historically matched or exceeded typical contemporary gaming PC's.

I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with this statement, unless it's a typo and you meant literally the exact opposite :P

I decided to be careful and insert the word "typical" - as in a gaming PC someone may find and purchase from an electronics store. In other words, a PC one could run into in the wild. I am not talking about a niche high end gaming PC built by the enthusiast builder with a bulging wallet. I generally do not like comparing consoles and PC's given that a PC could be anything. It could be a dual core 2GHz computer with intel HD graphics - great for the office but poor for gaming, a top of the line gaming PC with near record benchmarks and overkill for anything else, or a mining rig with 30 GPU's :)

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » July 18th, 2018, 9:33 am

I have three PC's that surround me, One uses Windows 10 and I use that to play demandingly large games like Postal 2 as it was built for the computers of tomorrow, While my other two are Windows 98 and XP respectively and I've been kicking back with a lot of Half-Life, DooM, Quake, William Shatter's TekWar, Blood, and Need For Speed II, I enjoy my PC games a lot and my consoles as well.

The late 1990's to the early 2000's pc games were some of the best that have ever come out, I don't think anyone will ever be able to match that success of those games..or the memories of them.

jon

Postby jon » July 20th, 2018, 9:02 pm

TheBlondeGamePunk3 wrote:I have three PC's that surround me, One uses Windows 10 and I use that to play demandingly large games like Postal 2 as it was built for the computers of tomorrow, While my other two are Windows 98 and XP respectively and I've been kicking back with a lot of Half-Life, DooM, Quake, William Shatter's TekWar, Blood, and Need For Speed II, I enjoy my PC games a lot and my consoles as well.

The late 1990's to the early 2000's pc games were some of the best that have ever come out, I don't think anyone will ever be able to match that success of those games..or the memories of them.

Very, very interesting! All those games look so cool.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 20th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Was anyone a fan of the Kyle Katarn Jedi Knight / Dark Forces Star Wars games?

The one from this time period is Dark Forces II, where Kyle gets a lightsaber.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » July 21st, 2018, 10:17 am

scotland wrote:Image

Was anyone a fan of the Kyle Katarn Jedi Knight / Dark Forces Star Wars games?

The one from this time period is Dark Forces II, where Kyle gets a lightsaber.

I had a demo version of Dark Forces (or the 2nd one) which came on my Full Throttle CD. I only played the first couple of levels, but it was like playing Doom in the Star Wars universe. At the time I remember wondering which direction they'd take the character. Unfortunately with the demo you only had the blaster.

scotland

Postby scotland » July 21st, 2018, 10:42 am

I would agree it feels like a Doom clone, but wouldn't want to start a clone war here.

Later Jedi Knight games claw farther from Doom. I think by the next game in the series, Kyle is force choking stormtroopers and just tossing them off high places, which has a thrill all its own.

It was a fun series. One trivia bit is that in the series, its Kyle who steals the Death Star plans, not Jyn Erso of Rogue One.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » July 21st, 2018, 11:06 am

scotland wrote:I would agree it feels like a Doom clone, but wouldn't want to start a clone war here.

:lol:

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » July 22nd, 2018, 5:21 pm

DrLitch wrote:I decided to be careful and insert the word "typical" - as in a gaming PC someone may find and purchase from an electronics store. In other words, a PC one could run into in the wild. I am not talking about a niche high end gaming PC built by the enthusiast builder with a bulging wallet.

Appreciated, and to be fair with the exception of my very first home PC (and IBM 286/16mhz clone with a 40MB hard drive), every PC I've ever owned has been cobbled together by myself vice an off-the-rack PC so I guess in one sense I am a 'boutique builder'. However, I've never gone 'top of the line' because I have never had a bulging wallet :) I'm pretty sure that every PC I've ever had has been head and shoulders above whatever the current and even next-gen (released after I already had my PC) console were in terms of gaming ability.

But I certainly will agree that anyone buying a PC at a retail outlet that did not have a stand-alone GPU probably did not measure up to it's current-day console brother, at least since the PS2 era.

Tron

Postby Tron » July 22nd, 2018, 5:29 pm

About my favorite time period for PC gaming and the only time I actually played PC games. Fallout 1 & 2, Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2, Icewind Dale and Tzar: Burden of the Crown. I want an old computer just to be able to play those game’s again

Return to “Classic Gaming”