Jumpstart Computer Games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Jumpstart Computer Games?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 14th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Did anyone else spend their childhood playing those educational Jumpstart computer games? One of my friends mentioned them today, and it took me on a massive nostalgia trip, haha. I had Jumpstart Kindergarten, First Grade, First Grade Reading, Second Grade Math, Fifth Grade, and Typing.

Stalvern

Re: Jumpstart Computer Games?

Postby Stalvern » July 15th, 2018, 2:26 am

I was a Carmen Sandiego kid. I had Where in Space is Carmen Sandiego? on floppies and the slick late-'90s remake of Where in Time on CD. Time was cooler (for Carmen Sandiego, at least), but Space was the better game and made me feel like a badass space detective.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 15th, 2018, 12:19 pm

We didn't have Jumpstart games but I played quite a few other learning games growing up. My school used these Typing teaching games that I really loved as a kid. Ones where the faster you typed the quicker your characters would move throughout the level. Also played Magic Schoolbus and Carmen Sandiego at friends houses. I never could play them at our house because our family computer was so old, and so underpowered that it would take like 10 minutes to even turn on and like 8 to open any software once it was on... Those were the days...

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » October 5th, 2018, 8:13 pm

As a kid, I used to have Jumpstart Kindergarten (1998), Jumpstart 1st Grade (1995), and Jumpstart Numbers. My elementary school had Jumpstart Typing, and the daycare I used to go to had Jumpstart Around the World.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » October 5th, 2018, 8:33 pm

When I was a kid, we did The Oregon Trail, on a Commodore PET computer. This was back around 1980-1981 timeframe. I remember being quite enamored by it.

scotland

Postby scotland » October 5th, 2018, 10:35 pm

I may predate commercial educational programs. We began learning BASIC, and went from 'Hello World' to typing in programs to make scrolling text or solve lunar landing velocities. I began on a TRS 80 model 1

Return to “Classic Gaming”