Mint Atari 2600 sells for over $2000 on Ebay

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » April 29th, 2007, 10:59 am

Just thought some people would be interested in seeing this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110115393068

andrew

Postby andrew » April 29th, 2007, 11:38 am

Man what a waste of money. Even sealed I wouldn't pay a quarter of that. Well I would buy an atari vcs to play it, not to leave it on a shelf. People just have money to waste I guess.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » April 29th, 2007, 12:08 pm

buying stuff sealed, is freakin crazy. if you are willing to spend so much on something like that, what do you do when you finally get it? i cant see how you could open it and kill all of its value and if you did there is no guarantee it will work.

its nice to buy something that is still new in the box, but paying 20 times the value of something for a little bit of glue just doesnt seem sane.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » April 29th, 2007, 1:23 pm

Wow, maybe I should buy some Wii's and never remove them from their box, and sell them in 25 years.  

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 29th, 2007, 1:41 pm

I collect Star Trek Toys- Playmates figures and Micro Machine ships-and I left everyone in the package. I have no interest in "playing" with the toys, and to be honest the ARTWORK on the package makes the whole thing look nicer; plus it displays better on my wall.

But VIDEOGAMES are different. While some have nice box art, a carefully opened package can still be displayed AND the game enjoyed. You can't SEE the system or cart like I can my micro machine ships! You don't even know if there IS a working 2600 in there or a Coleco Gemini! What if someone RE SEALED it?! WHY would anyone CARE!? I guess a multi billionaire might drop the cash for the "excitement" of opening and playing a 1982 system- sort of like the guys who found a frozen Mammoth and tried to eat the meat (they did, but it was inedible-like,go figure!)

andrew

Postby andrew » April 29th, 2007, 3:04 pm

My thoughts exactly alienblue when it comes to toys and videogames. I find that cartridge based systems retain their value better because cartridges are so reliable. CD's DVD's become scratched and a cd/dvd/blu-ray laser can fail so easily or complain when there's  the slightest scratch on a disc. And these laser's don't even have to fail, a slight misalignment and the laser won't read your discs. I feel more hesitant to buy a used gamecube than I am buying an intellivision. So as for the Wii remaining sealed, doesn't seem like a good idea.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 29th, 2007, 4:27 pm

[QUOTE=chrisbid]buying stuff sealed, is freakin crazy. if you are willing to spend so much on something like that, what do you do when you finally get it? i cant see how you could open it and kill all of its value and if you did there is no guarantee it will work.

its nice to buy something that is still new in the box, but paying 20 times the value of something for a little bit of glue just doesnt seem sane.[/QUOTE]
My thoughts exactly.   I try to buy still sealed copies of 7800 games, but they don't usually run me over $20 (most don't even run me to $10).  I end up paying a few dollars extra, but that's worth it I think to get a copy of a game that displays well, has a good lable, and that almost certainly works perfectly.  Once you hit the $20 mark though, I don't really see the appeal.  And once a game costs more than it would have new, I start to think people are kind of crazy. 

Return to “Classic Gaming”