Arcadia Starpath Super Charger

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Ken1

Postby Ken1 » December 31st, 2007, 8:51 pm

Hi,  I  wanted  a  little  help  with  the  super  charger.  I  wanted  to  look  into  purchasing  one.  However  I  know  very  little  about  the  super  charger.  So  all  advice  and  info  would  really  help!!  Thanks  a  bunch  in  advance!!! 

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 1st, 2008, 4:10 am

I've never owned one, but I know all about it through my magazines. It is basically a big RAM cart that plugs into the Atari 2600(or compatible, but it will NOT work on the original Colecvision Expansion module #1). Two advantages: this allowed games with more memory and better graphics, AND they load through a cassete recorder so the cassetes were cheaper.

In theory Starpath games are "better" but some of the late 2600 and homebrew carts are actually higher-res. Still some fun games for this like COMMIE MUTANTS, RABBIT TRANSIT and the best FROGGER on 2600. There is a CD that has EVERY game plus protos (sadly the tapes are likely mostly dead by now)....revenge of STELLA or something? I can't quite recall it's been awhile. I would only get one if you had working games to be sure it works!
Good luck!

Ken1

Postby Ken1 » January 1st, 2008, 6:54 pm

Thanks  for  the  advice.  Does  anyone  know  how  to  get a  copy  of  "Stella  gets  a  new  brain"?

Pauly

Postby Pauly » May 20th, 2009, 6:54 pm

I used to have a supercharger back in the day. It WAS the coolest add-on for the 2600. I had commie mutants from space and phaser patrol, both of which were awsome. I never could track down any of the other games though. Budding atari 2600 programmers of today are using them to connect them to a computer as kind of a 'developers kit'. The supercharger was ahead of it's time when released, that's why it never really caught on. I never should have traded it away....

R. Jones

Postby R. Jones » July 14th, 2009, 1:03 am

Hi, I'm afraid only a limited number of Stella Gets a New Brain were made.  You'll have to find a used one. 

Also, be careful to not use the supercharger w/ a 7800.  And you'd be wise to invest in a mp3 player.  If you don't already frequent it, check out atariage.com.  You can play a lot of homebrews on supercharger.

- Robby

Hatta

Postby Hatta » August 9th, 2009, 12:02 pm

Apparently you can use the Supercharger to load most Atari 2600 games with a small modification: http://members.cox.net/rcolbert/scmod.htm

I haven't tried this with my Supercharger yet, so I'm not sure how well it works.

Return to “Classic Gaming”