Punch Out 2600

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Allpaul1

Punch Out 2600

Postby Allpaul1 » March 14th, 2008, 12:26 am

I saw the guitar hero for the Commodore posted on here. What do you guys think of this? Looks pretty awesome. It's amazing what people can make happen on old systems.

Wallyworld1

Punch Out 2600

Postby Wallyworld1 » March 14th, 2008, 9:45 am

It looks great on that screen shot but wonder what it would play like on the 2600 with only 1 fire button.  Even the NES controller had to use the select button as an action button for controls on this game.  Also I bet the animation is pretty bad as well but can't tell from a screen shot.

Alienblue

Punch Out 2600

Postby Alienblue » March 14th, 2008, 1:08 pm

PUNCH-OUT on 2600? No way Hos-ay!

Late in the 2600's life Atari released a BOXING game in the red and black cart format. It was a VERY,VERY good effort for the 2600-the boxers were seen from the side, you could select three different fighters and there was a bell, ring, crowd and everything. It made Intellivision boxing look sick, and is likeley the closest the 2600 will get to a one on one fighting game aka Street Fighter 2.

But 80% of PUNCH OUTs appeal lies in the power of the NES carts, with detailed graphics, SUPERB animation of the fighters... in a way this is a looking-forward STREET FIGHTER. The 2600 can do good cartoony graphics like Pitfall 2 and Seaquest, but it could not come CLOSE to Punch Out. You would lose Soda Popinkskis bottle drinking, the TIGERS tigerskin, the bandage on King Hippo! You would lose the CHARACTER that MAKES this game so fun!

Now, a 7800 cart....it's possible, except the sound/music!

Allpaul1

Punch Out 2600

Postby Allpaul1 » March 16th, 2008, 6:11 am

I think this is cooler than you give it credit for. It's a no brainer that the7800 could do a killer version of Punch Out, especially with the advances in the homebrew scene recently. Programmers are finally starting to unleash the power of the system in a way the Trameils were too cheap to do during it's lifetime. You might as well just buy a NES at that point. 2600 carts can hold alot more code now. so really, the sky is the limit (within reason). The guy making this seems to have alot in store as far as fighter personalities and special moves.. At this point, I wouldn't count this WIP out. There is a playable .BIN file on the site, and he discusses where he's at in the process, and what we can expect in the final version. Check it out in Stella or MESS...

Alienblue

Punch Out 2600

Postby Alienblue » March 16th, 2008, 12:48 pm

This is my problem....I cannot SEE that screenshot let alone play the demo. My iMac is falling back more and more, there s less and less I can see or do with ANY browser. I just don't have the memory left, plus so much is PC only now-but even if it is not you need a recent MAC, the iternet is just not fair to us "old" computer owners.

I can read words, so TELL me, are the PUNCHOUT sprites on 2600 really big, multicolored with facial animations? Again that is what makes punchout great, the CHARACTER HUMOUR. Without it you just have a fair boxing game.

It's like SMB without any hidden rooms or warp zones. It's playable but most of the motivation is gone. Why not do a 2600/ NES translation that would WORK like GRADIUS?! Or better yet the Gameboy Super Mario Land showed us you can have a FUN low resolution SMB! I'd love to see SMB on the 2600, maybe using Pitfall harry..Super Pitfall Brothers!

Return to “Classic Gaming”