7800 shooters = awesome

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Atarifever1

7800 shooters = awesome

Postby Atarifever1 » April 3rd, 2008, 6:57 am

Think "Planet Smashers" is the height of what the 7800 was capable of shooter-wise?  Think again.  It's news that's a couple days old now, but I've been too busy playing to do a post about it.  There are now two more, mostly complete, 7800 shooters. So, for anyone who missed it, these two games are certainly worth loading up an emulator for.  It appears a cart release is unlikely right now, so get Prosystem on your computer and give these a shot. 

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123657

Leo Ames

7800 shooters = awesome

Postby Leo Ames » April 3rd, 2008, 12:43 pm

Makes me glad I have a CC2 so I can  play them on real hardware.

Thanks for the link, I caught the April Fools prank but missed this.

Atarifever1

7800 shooters = awesome

Postby Atarifever1 » April 3rd, 2008, 1:14 pm

[QUOTE=Leo Ames]Makes me glad I have a CC2 so I can  play them on real hardware.

Thanks for the link, I caught the April Fools prank but missed this.
[/QUOTE]

You have a CC2 and I don't!?  Where's the justice in that? 

This was the best April Fool's joke ever.  The joke of it was that something as unlikely as 2 and a half completed games being discovered for an old system and then released on April 1st without any previous mention actually WAS true.  And two of the games are some of the best things ever on the system to boot!

Zenzerotron

7800 shooters = awesome

Postby Zenzerotron » April 3rd, 2008, 2:48 pm

I can only assume that Funkmaster Vinnie creamed his shorts over those 3 protos

I honestly thought these games were fakes because the games' graphics look very "lifted" from R-Type, Zaniac, and Alpha Mission.

Funkmaster V

7800 shooters = awesome

Postby Funkmaster V » April 3rd, 2008, 4:51 pm

Yeah, are these things really for real? I remember the Missing in Action Chuck Norris game was found on April Fool's Day last year. That is just weird.

Funk

Alienblue

7800 shooters = awesome

Postby Alienblue » April 4th, 2008, 1:45 pm

Why was my post deleted? I only stated my disagreement on Planet Smashers. If anyone can casually delete ANY MESSAGE THEY DO NOT AGREE WITH, this forum is losing all purpose.

I think the 7800 is one of the best systems ever. I just do not like some of the games. Why is that so wrong?

Next time anyone says they don't like NES or 2600, DELETE IT!

Leo Ames

7800 shooters = awesome

Postby Leo Ames » April 4th, 2008, 8:57 pm

The forum software isn't bulletproof, it might've not been deleted at all and just disappeared on its own, and its easy to slip and hit delete instead of approve which will accidently delete it.

Anyways, wasn't me, I don't check this board at my own PC very often so I'm usually not logged in with moderator privileges.

I love the 7800, its 2600 compatibility and the handful of arcade classics and original titles that turned out well on the system make it a great console in my opinion. It might be weak when it comes to it's library, but the handful of quality titles really shine in my opinion. And it's finally getting a decent 2nd life like the 2600 had enjoyed for so many years with discoveries like this and some of the quality homebrew development going on. A 7800 modded for s-video, combined with a Cuttle Cart II and a good arcade stick is gaming heaven.

m0zart1

7800 shooters = awesome

Postby m0zart1 » April 4th, 2008, 10:03 pm

[QUOTE=Leo Ames]The forum software isn't bulletproof, it might've not been deleted at all and just disappeared on its own, and its easy to slip and hit delete instead of approve which will accidently delete it.

Anyways, wasn't me, I don't check this board at my own PC very often so I'm usually not logged in with moderator privileges.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't me either.  Though I have accidentally deleted posts instead of approving them before.  Alienblue, aren't you a moderator?  If so, wasn't your post already approved?

Alienblue

7800 shooters = awesome

Postby Alienblue » April 4th, 2008, 11:40 pm

My post was apporoved by ME, but it could still be deleted by another moderator.

All I said was, I think Planet Smashers is a VERY bad game. To compare it to NES shooters like ZANAC and 1943....I just don't get it. Where is the music? The gleaming metalic graphics?

Everything about this game is bad. Poor controls. SLOOOWWWW levels that take forever,plus you are always looking a a plain starfeild, the enemies are stupid and the bosses, if your hand lasts long enough to get to them, are impossible. I am a shooting game fanatic, I love 2600 VANGUARD,RIVER RAID, and LASER GATES. It takes a LOT to make me NOT like a shooter but PS qualifies!

Again, the 7800 does rock, just not every game is great.

Return to “Classic Gaming”