Which is more underrated, Gamecube or Dreamcast

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Knox

Postby Knox » January 22nd, 2009, 5:06 pm

Gamecube, simply because at this point in time I can buy every game that I liked on the dreamcast on alternate systems. Here's a list of Dreamcast games I had, and the systems they can now be bought on.
Hmmm, not sure I understand - SEGA HAD to go multiplatform, or die. It does not seem fair to discount their (exclusive) library AT THAT TIME.

For example, you could say all GC games are 'Wii' games NOW wih that same logic.

Or even say 'the best' of the SNES library is on Wii now as well.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 22nd, 2009, 7:57 pm

Well, let's compare then:

Console design: Draw
Durability: GameCube
Controllers: Dreamcast
Game Library: Dreamcast
Media: GameCube
Packaging: Dreamcast
Graphics: GameCube, but not by much
Audio: Draw
Collectability: Dreamcast
Innovation: Dreamcast

Looks like the Dreamcast comes out on top.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » January 22nd, 2009, 8:20 pm

The N64 is the most underrated now!

The dreamcast was never really that popular to the masses and the gamecube was demolished by the PS2 and Xbox so I don't think they were ever that "rated" to be the most underrated now.

I don't find a lot of people who really like the N64 but it is probably my favorite system (biased due to it being my first system).

Mario Kart
Super Smash Bros.
Banjo Kazooie (underrated game)
Cruisin' series
Diddy Kong Racing (not my favorite but popular)
Goldeneye 007 (kicks so much ass)
Perfect Dark
Waverace (underrated)
Ocarina of Time
Starfox 64
and so many more!

It was also the first console with the analog which I didn't like as a kid but really like now.

Plus Superman was the worst game of all time, a little bit of infamy

N64=awesome

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » January 22nd, 2009, 10:01 pm

[QUOTE=a]Gamecube, simply because at this point in time I can buy every game that I liked on the dreamcast on alternate systems. Here's a list of Dreamcast games I had, and the systems they can now be bought on.

Crazy Taxi- Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, PSP
Crazy Taxi 2- Xbox, PSP
Powerstone 1 and 2- PSP
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2- Gamecube
Space Channel 5- PS2
Chu chu Rocket- GBA
Tony Hawk 1 and 2- PSX and N64
Rayman 2- N64

I no longer have a Dreamcast, and I have no reason to go out and get one anymore.

[/QUOTE]

This is why I have never had a real compelling need to own a Dreamcast. I would add House of the Dead 2 (Wii) and Hydro Thunder (PS2) to your list. Those two plus Crazy Taxi are my three favorite games that appeared on the Dreamcast.

Knox

Postby Knox » January 23rd, 2009, 1:14 pm

My take :

Console design: don't care
Durability: Dont know
Controllers: GC (DC, blah, and wire on wrong side, pluse wavebird wireless!)
Game Library: GC
Media: push
Packaging: don't care
Graphics: GameCube, by a fair bit - not fair to D-Cast, though, blame PS2 
Audio: don't know
Collectability : don't care
Innovation: Dreamcast - it did have internet.

Looks like they both got thar props...

Kim

Postby Kim » January 23rd, 2009, 10:34 pm

Game-wise it must be the GameCube, because while the Dreamcast died in 2001 a lot of its games survived to become popular third-party titles on the PS2 and Xbox (Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi). I have seen people play Soul Calibur 3 on PS2 but never laid a hand on something like Metroid Prime.

a1

Postby a1 » January 24th, 2009, 9:39 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]
Innovation: Dreamcast
[/QUOTE]

I understand that the Gamecube isn't innovative, but how is the Dreamcast innovative? I'm legitimately curious. It wasn't the first disc based system. It wasn't a unique controller. I guess it was the first online gaming system, but that had been done on PCs already. What am I missing? 
Also, I have to argue with the Dreamcast controller being better. That joystick is really uncomfortable, and the triggers are way too loose. The Gamecube controller has one poorly place button (z) but otherwise it's great.

N64dude

Postby N64dude » January 24th, 2009, 9:49 pm

GameCube obviously.Dreamcast isn't underrated if anything it's overrated,video gamers never shut up about the sad death and the online and stuff.I prefer Dreamcast yes but no one can deny how forgotten GameCube is.The Ps2 hype led to a point that people forgot which had the better graphics. Is there a which is more overrated thread as well?

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 25th, 2009, 10:52 am

[QUOTE=Koopa W.]What the hell kind of name is Gamecube?[/QUOTE]

What the hell kind of a name is Wii?

Anyways, I'm definitely going with Gamecube.  The Dreamcast is unheard of by many, but that doesn't really make it underrated.  The Gamecube is fairly well-known, though, and it gets so much hate it's ridiculous.  I know people hated Super Mario Sunshine, but I found it to be enjoyable and challenging.  The Metroid Prime games are great; not as great as some of the 2D Metroid titles, but it's hard to stack up to those.  Wind Waker is an amazing title, as is Twilight Princess (it was ported to the Wii at the last second but it counts as both a Wii and a Gamecube title to me).  Also, one word: Melee.  If nothing else did, Melee made the Gamecube.  I played that game from the moment I got it in 2003 and...still play it today over Brawl.

Yet during the Gamecube's lifetime, and even still, the Gamecube was/is bashed.  Hell, even Nintendo Power bashes it!  On multiple occasions they've talked about how the Gamecube was unsuccessful because it wasn't innovative, the Wii fixed that, blah blah blah.  It's ridiculous that the creator of the Gamecube has decided to bash it, only a few years after its lifetime ended.  I remember vehemently defending the Gamecube throughout its entire lifetime because it got bashed so much for so many reasons.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 25th, 2009, 5:38 pm

I honestly preferred Super Mario Sunshine to Super Mario Galaxy.

Console Design: Dreamcast
Durability:GameCube[On one youtube video 3 consoles were tested out by sledgehammer,50 foot drop,and weight crusher and GameCube survived it all,Dreamcast lights up on fire half the time]
Graphics:GameCube
Libraryreamcast
Innovativenessreamcast
Media:GameCube [The discs are more attractive and hold .5 times more than Dreamcast GD-Roms]
Audio: I don't care it's about attractive music in games not the sharpness I mean Ocarina of Time is more pleasant than listening to Sonic '06 on 360

Dreamcast is like the true N64 successor because the controller was added onto,then Dreamcast put the memory card into the controller,had a built-in modem,and who knows what oh and maraca peripherals

GameCube went the route of the PlayStations by mimicking the built in rumble,and made the controller ridicuolously small,the only real innovation was the click in triggers maybe the DK Bongos.The whole wireless thing was done since the Famicom days

Return to “Classic Gaming”