Which is more underrated, Gamecube or Dreamcast

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » April 8th, 2008, 1:43 am

I always laugh when I hear people say that the Gamecube "failed." By fail, are you talking about the 22+ million the thing sold worldwide? I know that's meager, considering the ps2's 100+ million push. Granted, it came in third place but it still far outsold both the Dreamcast, the Saturn, and came reasonably close to the sega genesis's 29 million worldwide tally(has anybody ever considered the genny to be a failure?).

I would still probably say the Dreamcast, though. Granted, the system gets tons of love from us, and anybody willing to do their homework, but what about everybody else? How many of those 23 million gamecube owners ever picked up a Dreamcast controller? How many people saw Shenmue all the way through? How many people actually swear up and down by it? I haven't really met anyone who hasn't at least tried a Gamecube...I have, however, met people that never even tried the Dreamcast. To me, it's all in the numbers. For that reason, I have to go with the Dreamcast.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » April 8th, 2008, 3:35 am

Dreamcast is my favorite system of all time so it's hard to compare it to the Gamecube.  Gamecube games look as good to me as they do on Xbox or PS2 and it never got respect.  I bought a Gamecube for my two step daughters and found myself playing it more than they did. 

I would say that Gamecube is most underrated.  The Dreamcast is more like the TV show Arrested Development Critically Acclaimed but not enough people noticed so it went Kaput.

Luke

Postby Luke » April 8th, 2008, 4:00 am

The Gamecube largely failed because it was stuck somewhere in the middle of the super-popular Playstation 2 and the more-powerful Xbox. And the fact that it came with a goofy-looking controller and lacked great exclusive games outside of the Nintendo franchise made things even worse.

I never liked the Gamecube and I probably never will. So I couldn't possibly say it's underrated because I believe that it belongs right where it is.. in the "cheap used bin that hardly anyone pays attention to."

The Dreamcast is vastly underrated due to the fact that A LOT of gamers passed on it in order to wait for the much anticipated, over-hyped PS2. Also, it seems that the majority of critics seemed to believe that the PS2 was so much more powerful than the DC. But to this very day I still think that could be heavily debated. Especially since the DC never got to live out its full lifespan with great third-party support, unlike the PS2.

Superjay

Postby Superjay » April 8th, 2008, 7:19 am

I would say that the Dreamcast was underrated because People didn't give it a chance even though it dominated as far as great games and online. I never liked the gamecube so I will probably never think that it is underrated.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » April 8th, 2008, 10:32 am

Neither

In the gaming community the DC remains extremely popular.  Outside the gaming community no one has heard of it. 

Gamecube, again within the gaming community it's extremely popular.  Outside the gaming community they have heard of it but probably don't care as they're busy playing on the PS2.

So...the question's moot.  Neither is underrated or underloved by those that appreciate good games.  Now, as for which one I loved the most - DC, hands down.  Although, Eternal Darkness alone nearly makes me choose the GC.  Here's hoping Samba De Amigo on the Wii comes out looking good.

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » April 9th, 2008, 2:45 pm

As a piece of hardware, the Gamecube is more overrated.  There was little to it that stood out as being new and impressive.  The Dreamcast's online capabilities out of the box were impressive for the time and little things like the VMU were cool but underused.  

As for games, most of the great Gamecube games got considerable attention, and those were mostly Nintendo titles.  The Dreamcast library is filled with quirky, innovative and fun games that never got the attention they deserved.   But I get the feeling many gamers think of the Dreamcast as a useless relic, with most of its best games ported to more worthy platforms.  For that reason, I'd say the Dreamcast is much more underrated than the Gamecube. 

Megavolt

Postby Megavolt » January 21st, 2009, 7:48 pm

I'm going to say Gamecube because I tire of Sega fans suggesting that Dreamcast was the best (or one of the best) console of all time.  Like the TV show Firefly, the legend of the Dreamcast has been exaggerated as "the tale of the console that had everything going for it but just wasn't given a chance".  When many Sega fans would take the Dreamcast over the Genesis, that makes it seem overrated rather than underrated.

The Gamecube is hardly the best console ever, but few gamers would say so.  It's easier for me to think of it as underrated from a hardcore gamer standpoint.  It had some good things about it but most people probably think of it as Nintendo's weakest home console. (and I feel the same way, though I have no experience with the Wii)

TheBawwradar

Postby TheBawwradar » January 21st, 2009, 8:22 pm

Well, I dont think the dreamcast is the most perfect system. But I think it's better than the gamecube on many aspects. Just my two cents.

(I hate the controllers)

a1

Postby a1 » January 22nd, 2009, 2:50 pm

Gamecube, simply because at this point in time I can buy every game that I liked on the dreamcast on alternate systems. Here's a list of Dreamcast games I had, and the systems they can now be bought on.

Crazy Taxi- Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, PSP
Crazy Taxi 2- Xbox, PSP
Powerstone 1 and 2- PSP
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2- Gamecube
Space Channel 5- PS2
Chu chu Rocket- GBA
Tony Hawk 1 and 2- PSX and N64
Rayman 2- N64

I no longer have a Dreamcast, and I have no reason to go out and get one anymore.

a1

Postby a1 » January 22nd, 2009, 2:52 pm

Oh, I left off Soul Caliber (all the sequels are pretty much identical), Resident Evil: Code Veronica (PS2) and Jet Grind Radio, which has a sequel on the Xbox which you can get for $1.

Return to “Classic Gaming”