Colecovision reliability issues

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
NixonTech2071

Postby NixonTech2071 » July 27th, 2008, 10:04 am

After having to ask about the gamegears reliability, something came to mind after seeing the videogamecritics hardware review of the colecovision, I wanted to know why the colecovision was said to have such crap reliability. I know it has to have screen defects in some way, but how exactly? Can somebody please explain before I pull my hair out?

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » July 27th, 2008, 1:22 pm

I know that for the Colecovision, the Dina, and the Personal Arcade, the powersupply brick likes to fry in the wall socket. Also, the on/off button on the console breaks easily, and various innards in the console like to crap out.

It's a huge shame, because I've always wanted a Colecovision. Before the Neo-Geo, before the Dreamcast, it was the first " true arcade experience at home" system!

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » July 27th, 2008, 2:11 pm

Zen, I have a Colecovision that I've had for 9 years and it and the power supply still work fine.

The important thing to remember is UNPLUG THE POWER SUPPLY(or better yet get a power strip you can switch off) when you are through playing. If you leave that ten pound brick plugged in for five days it will likely fry.

The CV itself is very well made. Unlike the 5200, the sticks do not break easily (when you get a CV, listen up: Plug a Cv control into port two and a HIGH QUALITY 2600 stick into port one. Now select games on the port two control and use the WICO or SPECTRAVIDEO stick in port one. Unfortunately some games need two fire buttons, and you'll have to switch to the normal stick for those and PAD use games like Mousetrap. I scored a WICO COLECOVISION CHAMPION JOYSTICK years ago and it is the perfect answer!).

CV systems and carts are 99% reliable. Only that power supply causes headaches. Take care of it and you'll have no more troubles with CV than the 2600!

Return to “Classic Gaming”