DREAMCAST JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!!!...........sort of...

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
wur1

Postby wur1 » August 7th, 2008, 4:50 pm

fyi: rampant piracy is what killed the Dreamcast.

steerforth

Postby steerforth » August 7th, 2008, 7:02 pm

Yeah, I dont know why you would want a bunch of pirated games......

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » August 7th, 2008, 8:32 pm

[QUOTE=wur]fyi: rampant piracy is what killed the Dreamcast.
[/QUOTE]

Somehow companies are still managing to profit with PC games. But with piracy issues, there might be even more of a shift to subscription-based WoW type games.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » August 7th, 2008, 8:44 pm

[QUOTE=steerforth]

Yeah, I dont know why you would want a bunch of pirated games......

[/QUOTE]

Well, for one thing, I can play them...

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » August 7th, 2008, 8:50 pm

[/QUOTE]

No, it killed the Commodore 64.  I think it was just a small part of what killed the Dreamcast.

andrew

Postby andrew » August 7th, 2008, 9:05 pm

[/QUOTE]

While piracy  played a small role, incompetent marketing by Sega coupled with PS2 hype is what ultimately killed off the Dreamcast.

Aaron

Postby Aaron » August 8th, 2008, 12:11 am

I'm not sure how I feel about pirated software on a discontinued system.  I wouldn't play pirated copies of software that is currently in production, but in the case where it is no longer being produced I think I would consider it.  Is there really a victim in that scenario?

dteerforth

Postby dteerforth » August 8th, 2008, 7:42 am

Yes -

1. Used game stores

2. Private sellers

3. Also, it cuts down on the demand for compilation software and potential VC/Livearcade/etc (talking in general here, not saying these or other DCast games are out on these - yet!)

So if you can get copies for free that should never have legaly existed, it is a bad deal for the origional product, people who deal with the origional product, and future releases and relereleases of the origional product.

Bottom line is, it is a group of peoples work, and woning a copy gives their work no satisfaction, you are in fact giving a theif satisfaction for paying HIM for his THEFT of someone else WORK!

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » August 8th, 2008, 11:02 am

[QUOTE=dteerforth]Yes -

1. Used game stores

2. Private sellers

3. Also, it cuts down on the demand for compilation software and potential VC/Livearcade/etc (talking in general here, not saying these or other DCast games are out on these - yet!)
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but it sounds like you are really reaching there.  Used game stores and private sellers do not have nearly the same connection to this as Sega themselves, if any at all.  They do not directly lose any money as a result.  I won't see private sellers going out of business because of it.  That just seems like a stretch to me.

andrew

Postby andrew » August 8th, 2008, 11:52 am

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell][QUOTE=dteerforth]Yes -

1. Used game stores

2. Private sellers

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but it sounds like you are really reaching there.  Used game stores and private sellers do not have nearly the same connection to this as Sega themselves, if any at all.  They do not directly lose any money as a result.  I won't see private sellers going out of business because of it.  That just seems like a stretch to me.
[/QUOTE]

I must agree with Paul. Private sellers and used stores won't lose any money or sleep over this. This whole piracy thing is blown out of proportion. There's three groups. People who steal everything, those who try for free then buy and those who don't copy whatsoever. In a way, piracy has attracted more buyers which balances out those who don't pay so in reality the software sales level has remained pretty constant. The demand for legit software has not diminished whatsoever. Emulators exist for all sorts of platforms but used stores and private sellers still sell their merchandise and always have demand for more. Take Final Fantasy VII. Anyone can burn the game on pc and hook up a playstation controller to their pc but instead everybody is shelling out $100 per copy everyday it seems.

Return to “Classic Gaming”