Zaxxon Atari 5200 $90!!!!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
JNH

Postby JNH » August 7th, 2008, 3:16 pm

Is this fair?? $90 for Zaxxon for the 5200?? This game is the sole reason I'm considering buying this system and I see that the game is as much as the system NIB! Insane!

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » August 7th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Is the Atari 5200 version that great? You can play arcade perfect Zaxxon with an emulator on your PC for free.

JNH

Postby JNH » August 7th, 2008, 9:59 pm

How? I've never done anything like that before...

Caf

Postby Caf » August 8th, 2008, 7:01 am

5200 Zaxxon has always been one of its higher cost games. I remember finding a loose cart for $20 and thinking I got a deal.

The game was a decent port back in its day, but it hasn't held up. There is too much cut out and the gameplay is more shallow than the coin-op version.

You can play the coinop version on the SEGA Genesis Collection for Playstation 2. Or use Mame on your PC.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 8th, 2008, 1:44 pm

....first, I recall this being adverstised along with FROGGER 2 for the 5200 in COMPUTE! Magazine...does that mean FROGGER 2 is also rare? I don't have 5200 Zaxxon, but I have FROGGER 2.

The ABSOLUTE BEST VERSION OF ZAXXON, sadly, most of you will never play. It is the ADAM COMPUTER SUPERGAME. It starts off just like the Colecovision cart with slightly better graphics, but then continues with FOUR MORE BRAND NEW ASTEROIDS! And there is a FINAL BOSS-ZAXXON JUNIOR. Beat him and you beat the game and get a special ending-one of the very first for games!

I know the 5200 and XE Game System are nearly identical and the XE Zaxxon is GREAT, and dirt cheap, $10 or less. I doubt the 5200 cart is that much better. When SUPER ZAXXON was released as a coin-op, it was panned for being WORSE than the original! It was MUCH harder, speeding you so fast you'd keep missing fuel tanks, the Outer Space dogfight was replaced by a Tunnel you could barely move in, and the huge robot was replaced by a cute cuddly DRAGON. SUPER ZAXXON was not great!

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » August 8th, 2008, 1:59 pm

I'll post, just for you Alienblue..

Big fancy Price guide says......

Frogger 2...............25 loose, 50 complete
Zaxxon.........45 loose, 90 complete

Super Zaxxon.........it's featured as one of the games on the Starcade gameshow DVD. The kids whom play this game die constantly. They can barely make it to the tunnel. A hard game indeed!

Most expensive/rare 5200 game ever......

Bounty Bob Strikes Back.......300 loose, 650 complete

JNH

Postby JNH » August 8th, 2008, 10:00 pm

Forget it then...when I have a real house, a better job etc. I'll just buy an arcade cabinet of Zaxxon and problem solved...

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 9th, 2008, 2:48 pm

I remember buying the Colecovision ZAXXON in 1983....

Most carts at the time sold for around $30. ZAXXON may just be one of the first high priced, extra memory games. I paid $49.00 for it at K*Mart! The CV cart has a full 32K memory and for 1983 was a jaw-dropping sight for a Game on the TV set!

Not that it was arcade perfect...far from it. Everything is MUCH smaller, the Radar dishes are gone, the scrolling is not great- it moves kinda jerkily- and on the second asteroid they made the gun turrents FLOAT around and called them "Mobots"-something not even IN the coin-op! Oh, the sattelites and stars in the space sequance are gone too. Still, for 1983 and 32K memory this is a outstanding game and holds up well today. It may be the cheapest way to go for ZAXXON, not counting using MAME on your computer and downloading the actual arcade ROM Free!

JNH

Postby JNH » August 9th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Finding a working Coleco in the wild is an expensive proposition. I know where I can get one, but to me the 5200 is a much better alternative. I don't trust ebay for getting a working coleco either...

Caf

Postby Caf » August 9th, 2008, 9:51 pm

I don't think the 5200 version has rising missiles at all. They were cut out due to the small ROM size enforced on the 5200 cart. There was a bigger version for the Atari 8bits which had everything in them. The only place I've found that version is on emu ROM packs.

The 5200 Zaxxon's scrolling is super smooth and the game lends a strong first impression. But the battle with the Zaxxon robot is weak and underwhelming, no sense of satisfaction there at all, and the 5200 mushy buttons make your hand fall off before you get to asteroid 3 anyway.

Return to “Classic Gaming”