Intellivision Computer

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Guy

Intellivision Computer

Postby Guy » August 21st, 2008, 4:31 pm

What does everyone think about the Intellivision  add on computer?  I think it is pretty much worthless. 

Guy

Guy

Intellivision Computer

Postby Guy » August 21st, 2008, 11:41 pm

Has anyone did any programming on this computer?

Alienblue

Intellivision Computer

Postby Alienblue » August 23rd, 2008, 2:35 pm

I collect esoteric computers, not add ons, so I never have even SEEN the INTV keyboard but I can tell you why it is worthless. Mattel only released it because they PROMISED CONSUMERS that INTV WAS "FULLY EXPANDABLE INTO A FULL COMPUTER SYSTEM". The first computer add on was a failure in 1980, a 2K unit that you stuck the INTV INTO, it only used the INTVS power supply. It had a tape drive and a full stroke keyboard. It was never released but prototypes exist. Threatened with a lawsuit, Mattel had no choice but to make a cheap 4K keyboard with chicklet keys for the Intellivion 2 model (model one owners had to buy an adaptor).
It had ONE COOL thing: A full piano keyboard and music program that taught you to play..oh, and a talking baseball game.

I DO HAVE the Mattel AQUARIUS COMPUTER, which is just as worthless and yes I have programmed on it. The Aquarius has 4K memory expandable to 32K, cartridge games stolen from INTV like Burgertime and Utopia (which look WORSE on Aquarius!). You must buy a MINI EXPANDER to play cart games, otherwise you are stuck with cassete tape programs. Mine came with 6 "FREE GAMES!", extremely cheapo basic games like MACHO MAN...move a man up six levels while "*"'s fall on him....and STALACTITES, catch all the falling "V"'s...in full COLOUR! WOW!

The only good add on ever made was ADAM, but even there I bought the stand alone version (you cannot hook the CV Adam up to a monitor, only a TV set..the full ADAM is RGB compatible!).

Return to “Classic Gaming”