It's time to start collecting for the 2600....

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Aaron

Postby Aaron » August 27th, 2008, 11:21 am

I am getting ready to start collecting for the Atari 2600.  My biggest decision right now is what system to start with.  I have to admit I am a little nostalgic about the original woodgrain system, but it might make more sense to go with a Jr. or a 7800 system.  My reasoning for the 7800 would be that it would also allow me to collect for it although I don't know of very many 7800 games I would want.  I would love some feedback from those of you already collecting for the 2600 as to what route you would go.
Thank you in advance.

Ken1

Postby Ken1 » August 27th, 2008, 2:47 pm

Go  with  the  7800.  Also  see  if  you  can  get  a  7800  with  the  European  style  controllers.  I  would  suggest  checking  out  best  electronics  for  any  kind  of  Atari  sytems.  That  is  the  place  I  purchased  my  7800  from.  I  have  to  say  I  was  most  pleased!

ZenZeroTron

Postby ZenZeroTron » August 28th, 2008, 1:00 am

Zen to the rescue.......

Go with the "vader" 2600.

I own a 6-switch, besides a vader, and the cartridge-slot is too tight and some 3rd party games are nearly impossible to fit into it. Telegames carts come to mind.

7800......not only do alot of 3rd party carts NOT fit into the cart-slot, such as Tigervision and Telegames carts, but some 2600 homebrews CANNOT work on it. Anyone whom says that the 7800 is 100% compatible with 2600 stuff is full of crap.

I'll put it to you another way........if the 7800 was actually 100% backwardly compatible with 2600 games, then why are 2600 units so prevelent out there in atari collector/player hands?? You'd think the mighty 7800 would make the 2600 completely useless. NOT SO, cuz what I'm saying is the truth.

2600 Jr.........those space-age touch buttons on the console tend to crap-out after awhile.

Listen to Zen, you will never go wrong. Get a vader.

And believe me, weirdo fly-by-night 3rd party 2600 games and homebrews are the spice of atari life....poo on the 7800

Luke

Postby Luke » August 28th, 2008, 3:02 pm

[QUOTE=ZenZeroTron]if the 7800 was actually 100% backwardly compatible with 2600 games, then why are 2600 units so prevelent out there in atari collector/player hands?? You'd think the mighty 7800 would make the 2600 completely useless. [/QUOTE]No. Because most people have memories playing the 2600 and not the 7800. Plus, I don't think there were nearly as many 7800's released in comparison to the 2600.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 28th, 2008, 3:42 pm

Wow, ZEN GOT SOMETHING RIGHT! The end is surely upon us!

Seriously, yah, I have a 7800 and can report:

TIGERVISION GAMES like POLARIS (now in Zens hands), KING KONG and MARAUDER WILL play but WONT Fit the slot. You must take the game board out of the cartridge case to play it!

KONAMI POOYAN and MARINE WARS, same deal. You can HOLD THE CART DOWN and it will make contact and play, but unless you want to Duct tape the games to your 7800...!

SPECTRAVISION....sorry, won't work at all. Some bootlegs will not work at all either.

I also hear reports the SUPERCHARGER won't fit....true?

But the LEAST compatible 2600 system is the COLECOVISION EXPANSION MODULE NUMBER ONE. That system plays COLECO, ATARI and PARKER BROS. carts, and two of the TELSEYS carts. Thats it! They had to make changes so it would not be an infringement on Ataris patent. For $80, this was a rip off! To think people sold their Ataris to get it!

How about the INTV 2600 System Changer? Any reports on compatibility there?

Ray Delmoko

Postby Ray Delmoko » April 8th, 2009, 9:52 am

The Intellivision changer has the same type of a deal that the 7800 does.  Some of the carts have a hard time fitting in.  They will work, but its a tight fit.  The problem with the Intellivision changer is that it only works for the INTV II, and those controllers down right SUCK.  Why they didnt opt for spring loaded buttons still beats me.  Whenever I break out the Intellvision, I use the INTV I, as the controllers are much better.  The INTV II was pretty cheaply put together.

Anywho, the Intellivision system changer is pretty rare and I'm glad I have one. 

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » April 8th, 2009, 12:51 pm

If it's by Imagic,Atari, or Activision, get it

Most of my favorites are by Atari like Night Driver,Adventure,Space Invaders [originally by Taito I know] and Combat

Some Activision goodies would be Freeway,Kaboom,and Alan Miller's Tennis

Ray Delmoko

Postby Ray Delmoko » April 8th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Adventure was SOLID.

Other Activision notables are Plaque Attack, Keystone Kapers, Pressure Cooker and my favorite Frostbite.  Frostbite is totally original.  Activision games were generally of a higher quality.  Crackpots is good, but kinda easy.  Oink is fun for about 2 minutes.

A great CBS title is TUNNEL RUNNER.  Scope it out if you don't have it.

Great INTV games are Frogs and Fries and Dark Cavern.

Do yourself a favor and get 2 sets of jitter free paddles and 3 friends and play WARLORDS.  Only 4 player game that is better is MarioKart64. 

Raiders of the Lost ark is fun if you know what you're doing.  How we figured out that game in 1983 is beyond me!!!

Have you played Atari today?

Bruce

Postby Bruce » April 9th, 2009, 3:03 pm

The 2600 is great - lot of classic games out there for it, and the newer homebrews are great too.

I have a 2600 Jr simply because I bought for a low price.  If you are open to any, I would recommend you get one with the faux wood grain simply for the nostalgic look.

And yes, the 7800 is not 100% compatible with the 2600; about 5% of the 2600s games will not fit or do not run on a 7800.

Paul Mack C

Postby Paul Mack C » April 12th, 2009, 2:46 am

I love my atari, i still have my original from about 1981, and i got a backup without the 6 switches. I like the websight "colectors cards and games" and atari2600.com  I love solar fox,omega race(needs special addon controller), astrosmash on atari is great. Too many more games to mention, but nows a great time to buy em.

Return to “Classic Gaming”