Dreamcast Controller

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
JustLikeHeaven1

Dreamcast Controller

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » February 16th, 2006, 9:25 pm

First off let me start by saying that overall I like the dreamcast controller...its large, the buttons are easy to reach and the analog stick isn't too loose or stiff.  My major complaint with the controller is in the single raised dot on each of the four face buttons.  A normal gamer might not find a problem with them, but let me explain how I play first.  A normal person presses the d-pad and face buttons of a controller with the end of their thumb...an area of the thumb that has plenty of excess skin (or whatever) to cushion the damage done by these raised dots.  I have very flexable fingers and my thumbs can bend waaaay and I can control games best when I press the d-pad and face buttons with the part of my thumb located directly beneath my knuckle.  I know it sounds crazy, but when I am playing a shooter or any game that requires lighting fast reflexs this style grants me much faster/accurate button presses.  The only negative part of this is the lack of support at this part of the thumb.  Normally it doesn't bother me, but the after playing a game like crazy taxi for a few hours I literally can't play for days due to having sore thumbs!  I could be the only person on the planet that has this problem...just thought I would share.

Boston

Dreamcast Controller

Postby Boston » February 17th, 2006, 6:03 am

Clearly...we have run out of things to discuss on this board.....

Boston

JustLikeHeaven1

Dreamcast Controller

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » February 17th, 2006, 11:40 am

[QUOTE=Boston]

Clearly...we have run out of things to discuss on this board.....

Boston

[/QUOTE]

The post was meant to be kind of humorous...but in all seriousness why the hell are those stupid dots on the Dreamcast Controller?  Is some blind kid going to attempt to play videogames?  Those dots annoy the hell out of me.

blaster

Dreamcast Controller

Postby blaster » February 17th, 2006, 1:13 pm

The raised dots on the face buttons bother me too, the one on the A button especially. But what bothers me even more are the raised dots on the thumbstick. The answer? Get a 3rd party controller, i.e. the one by MadCatz. It has a looser stick and is the main one I use. You wouldn't really want to play Virtua Tennis or Sega Rally 2 without it. But save your original controller because it has a much better D-pad.

Conn

Dreamcast Controller

Postby Conn » February 17th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Personally, I find the Dreamcast controller beyond horrible. The triggers are a bit too stiff, the analog stick too loose. Face buttons are a bit squishy, and have some weird dot on them like mentioned. Not to mention the cord coming out of the FRONT, and the odd handles..

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Dreamcast Controller

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 17th, 2006, 6:53 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]First off let me start by saying that overall I like the dreamcast controller...its large, the buttons are easy to reach and the analog stick isn't too loose or stiff.  My major complaint with the controller is in the single raised dot on each of the four face buttons.  A normal gamer might not find a problem with them, but let me explain how I play first.  A normal person presses the d-pad and face buttons of a controller with the end of their thumb...an area of the thumb that has plenty of excess skin (or whatever) to cushion the damage done by these raised dots.  I have very flexable fingers and my thumbs can bend waaaay and I can control games best when I press the d-pad and face buttons with the part of my thumb located directly beneath my knuckle.  I know it sounds crazy, but when I am playing a shooter or any game that requires lighting fast reflexs this style grants me much faster/accurate button presses.  The only negative part of this is the lack of support at this part of the thumb.  Normally it doesn't bother me, but the after playing a game like crazy taxi for a few hours I literally can't play for days due to having sore thumbs!  I could be the only person on the planet that has this problem...just thought I would share.
[/QUOTE]

I think you make a valid point about the bumps on the analog pad - they definitely rubbed me the wrong way the first time I handled a DC controller.  I never noticed them during play however.

Cafeman1

Dreamcast Controller

Postby Cafeman1 » February 17th, 2006, 11:20 pm

I like the DC controller for some games, but it's hard to use with others. 2D fighters for example.

In SF Alpha 3 and Street Fighter III 3rd Impact, is there anyone who can use the triggers properly as a punch or kick button? I always remap the triggers to be the light punch/kick, and use the 4 face buttons for the mediums / strongs, otherwise I'd never win a battle. The Genesis 6-button pad was awesome for 6-button fighting.  I bought an interplay 3rd party controller which has the 6 buttons, but its D-pad control is even worse than the stock DC d-pad, so no help really.  Speaking of the d-pad, it makes me jump in the air when I try the chargeback, then F/B/F moves. Ugh!

Fortunately, Marvel VS Capcom 2 has a simplified scheme which is easy to use with a stock DC controller.

I also find the analog too sensitive in many games. But I adjust.

JustLikeHeaven1

Dreamcast Controller

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » February 18th, 2006, 12:38 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]First off let me start by saying that overall I like the dreamcast controller...its large, the buttons are easy to reach and the analog stick isn't too loose or stiff.  My major complaint with the controller is in the single raised dot on each of the four face buttons.  A normal gamer might not find a problem with them, but let me explain how I play first.  A normal person presses the d-pad and face buttons of a controller with the end of their thumb...an area of the thumb that has plenty of excess skin (or whatever) to cushion the damage done by these raised dots.  I have very flexable fingers and my thumbs can bend waaaay and I can control games best when I press the d-pad and face buttons with the part of my thumb located directly beneath my knuckle.  I know it sounds crazy, but when I am playing a shooter or any game that requires lighting fast reflexs this style grants me much faster/accurate button presses.  The only negative part of this is the lack of support at this part of the thumb.  Normally it doesn't bother me, but the after playing a game like crazy taxi for a few hours I literally can't play for days due to having sore thumbs!  I could be the only person on the planet that has this problem...just thought I would share.
[/QUOTE]

I think you make a valid point about the bumps on the analog pad - they definitely rubbed me the wrong way the first time I handled a DC controller.  I never noticed them during play however.
[/QUOTE]

Actually Dave, I was talking about the single raised dot on each of the four face buttons...not the tiny bumps on the analog stick (those don't bother me).  Another person mentioned Virtua Tennis and that game is a workout for my thumbs.  Even my roomates complained about having sore hands after prolonged sessions with that game. 

sega saturn x

Dreamcast Controller

Postby sega saturn x » February 18th, 2006, 8:45 am

The dreamcast main problem in my opinion is the fact there is only one analog stick.  What was sega thinking?  Sony had already done the doube stick with their "revamped" (and I use the term loosely) controller.  Sega should have been smart enough to buck the trend.  Many games suffer because of it, having an un wieldy cameras, jet grind is a great example of this.  (jet grind has some other problems too but that's for another thread)  The dots on the buttons was never something that crossed my mind though I was aware they were there.  I really wish I could find a good arcade stick because quite frankly any fighting game or shooter just doesn't work without one.  Its got arcade stick or go home, stock saturn pads work pretty well but stll not as good as arcade sticks. 

emoney

Dreamcast Controller

Postby emoney » February 18th, 2006, 3:22 pm

The problem with jet grind radio is that no one bought it! Everyone complains about current video games lack of style, creativity, etc... well consumers made their own beds with the dreamcast and now they must lie in it. Sega is sinking slowly and it is in part due to their inability to stay current. To me they are the devo of video games.. ahead of their time and not totally understood. They are the quiet kid in the back of the class with untapped talent or something to offer. Sorry for the rant.

Return to “Classic Gaming”