SEGA MASTER SYSTEM THREAD

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » December 18th, 2008, 3:29 pm

I loved the sega master system, still do.
Back in the day where i lived a few of us had the nes at the time, and a few of us had a sms at the time, and we was never at each others throats as to what was better, we just would always hanging at each others house and enjoy the different games each system had to offer, same way with the atari, we played them 3 systems like there was no tomorrow and like it couldnt get any better than that!!

Guy

Postby Guy » December 18th, 2008, 7:30 pm

I think the master system is cool because I wish I had one and my friends would like one too because if I had one they have to have one too.

JNH

Postby JNH » December 19th, 2008, 9:58 pm

I got rid of my actual master system (I've had two fry and one with busted controller ports) and now just use the Power Base Converter which I find far more convenient. I've sold most of my SMS collection and I now only have four games:

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap (I love this game, almost as much as the Genesis sequel Wonderboy in Monster World which is by far the greatest game in the series)
Master of Darkness (truly awesome Castlevania clone...)
Impossible Mission (One of my all time favorite games, glad they re-released it on the DS but I still like to play with the genesis controller...)
Shinobi (this is the only game I need to justify owning a power base converter...)

I used to own Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and I actually felt it had aspects that made it slightly better than the Genesis game. However, the Genesis game is still better simply because it is so much smoother and faster...

SavagePencil

Postby SavagePencil » December 20th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Oh man, there are LOTS of good games on the Master System.  Wonder Boy in Monster Land is great, as is its sequel, The Dragon's Trap.

All this way and not ONE mention of Penguin Land?  That is easily one of the most fantastic games ever made.

The first Zillion is also great (good music!), and the port of Ys is also good.

Psycho Fox is a bizarre Sonic/SMB game, with a lot of weirdness (punching holes in the sky, etc.).

And of course there's Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, a wonderful send-up of both Shinobi and Alex Kidd.

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » January 22nd, 2009, 8:06 pm

I still play my Sms to this day, I have always loved this system, while everyone else at the time around where I lived was playing nintendo, there was only a few of us that had the Sms, and I think it was a very underrated system, like every system it has some games that just suck, but the ones that shine, do exactly that, they completely shine on the system.
So all in all, the sega master system, is a great console and is definetly worth owning and still collecting for!!

Kim

Postby Kim » January 24th, 2009, 6:00 am

The Master system, precisely because it had less games than the Genesis, has better overall game quality than the Genesis. Games like Phantasy Star 1, Outrun and Alex Kidd totally revolutionized their respective genres back in the day. Final Fantasy on the NES was only released in the US in 1990 while Phantasy Star in 1988, and theres no decent racing game on the NES either. So while the MS did not have Zelda, it was worth the money.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 26th, 2009, 12:13 pm

Fantasy Zone was great,I think SEGA's biggest take was killing Alex Kidd,I liked Miracle World oh and Wonder Boy.

The controllers are screwy though and the whole card to cartridge thing is confusing.

I preferred NES but this system at least had something going,unlike that 7800

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 26th, 2009, 1:06 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]

I preferred NES but this system at least had something going,unlike that 7800

[/QUOTE]
Them's fightin' words.  Especially from an N64 fan.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » January 26th, 2009, 2:40 pm

I played some SMS Choplifter last night (via PBC).

IT HAS THE ARCADE FEEL!

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » January 27th, 2009, 3:43 pm

Choplifter was incredible on the sms!!! I love getting out that old game! one of the best on the sms , along with many other mentioned above, the alex kidd series, wonderboy, and countless others, it was and still is a great system.

Return to “Classic Gaming”