Planning on saving up for a NES Top Loader at my store for 100$...

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Nicholas Pozega

Postby Nicholas Pozega » December 25th, 2008, 11:22 am

Is it worth it?

My last experience with the NES was a bad one. I bought a crappy yobo knockoff NES with SMB + Duck Hunt, Bionic Commando and Little Nemo The Dream Master, and the thing broke on me a day after i got it. (It was only 20$, so i figured 'ah what the heck') Also, i absolutely DESPISED how ridiculously tedious and difficult it was to clean the NES carts. And i swear a day after i cleaned the SMB's cart, it had a new layer of dirt on it the next day! What is it, a game cartridge or a dirt and grime magnet?!

Also, when and if i do get a authentic NES (I'm getting the top loader because it's more reliable than the old model, and i can live without A/V support, since my Atari 2600 only supports RF after all what games and software should i start off with? My starters list:

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!
Mega Man 2
Contra (And i'm going to try and beat it WITHOUT the Contra code. Ive played it before without it and got as far as the second stage)
Lifeforce
Galaga

Accessories:
Standard NES controller
NES Advantage (For games like Galaga and Gradius/Lifeforce which involve button mashing)
Zapper (For Duck Hunt, and yes i have a SDTV that supports old light guns)
Power Pad (For World Class Track Meet)
Game Genie (Plus adaptor needed for it to work properly on NES 2)

Thanks to anyone who responds. Or should i wait till i can find a cheaper NES 2? Any other games and software you guys would recommend me?

Guy

Postby Guy » December 25th, 2008, 11:25 am

The Nes 2 is a collectors item. There is always a chance you may fin one cheaper someday, but if you like NES games get it now.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » December 25th, 2008, 12:50 pm

I'd look into a Famicom if I were you. In the NES age, few games really required understanding of text, the library is larger, the used market is massive and you can get tons of cheap games if you know where to look, and a lot of games got downgraded in various ways before making it overseas. Definitely consider it if you don't already have a stack of NES carts.

Luke

Postby Luke » December 25th, 2008, 5:35 pm

I agree with the Famicom. Buy it so you can play Crisis Force, an amazing Japan-only shmup!

Return to “Classic Gaming”