Texas Chainsaw Massacre Atari, does it have a cover?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
megoninja1

Postby megoninja1 » January 11th, 2009, 7:08 am

Hey guys,

I am interested in buying the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween games on atari but I have never come across one in it's box. I am wondering if they were released maybe in plastic baggies instead of actual atari boxes (like some mail order items).
If they were released in boxes (I know the halloween one was), how much would I be expected to pay for one.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » January 11th, 2009, 11:34 am

I'm not sure about prices, but here are the boxes:

http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=556&BoxStyleID=76

http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=229&BoxStyleID=76

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 11th, 2009, 2:08 pm

I have both of the games in their original boxes, so yes they have covers.  However, the TCM game in its original box is very rare.  They were taken off of the shelves shortly after release due to controversy, then ended up in a lot of bargain bins with just the cart and manual -- no box.  Very few of the original fully boxed games were ever sold.

This is why, of course, I am so happy I have one

Halloween sold a lot more in its original box, but when Wizard went under they also were given the loose cart/manual in a bargain bin treatment.

Ironically, the most valuable Halloween game isn't the one in its original box.  When Wizard ran out of labels, they just put the carts with the manuals together and then wrote "Halloween" across the front of the carts using permanent markers.  That was only done on the last copies of the game without labels, so those are considered more rare and valuable.

megoninja1

Postby megoninja1 » January 11th, 2009, 9:02 pm

excellent,
thanks for the help on that guys. But can any one tell me what sort of price I would looking at for either of them?

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 12th, 2009, 12:50 am

[QUOTE=megoninja]excellent,
thanks for the help on that guys. But can any one tell me what sort of price I would looking at for either of them?[/QUOTE]

Well if my experience means anything, boxed/complete editions will bid up to between $250 and $325.

megoninja1

Postby megoninja1 » January 12th, 2009, 1:58 am

great,
thanks for the help with that one. I figured it would be around that cost, I would love to cheap out and pick one up at a garage sale or some thing, but then again, don't we all?

Do they come along often or not? Price does not necessarily indicate rarity, collectables like this often go for so much because people over estimate the rarity of these things, what I am trying to ask is, will I have to wait years to find a boxed example or will one pop up every few months?
Sorry for all the questions, I am kind of new with collecting atari games.
thanks

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 12th, 2009, 2:30 am

They don't come along terribly often, the complete boxed versions that is -- especially Texas Chainsaw Massacre boxed, which I've only ever seen once.

I had both of them before, but a burglary left me without them.  I waited about 3/4 of a year before I saw a complete boxed Halloween on eBay.  Ironically, two of them were listed almost within days of each other by two different sellers.  It was quite the coincidence.

The boxed Texas Chainsaw Massacre took a year and a half.  I had already given up on finding one when eBay sent me an email notification telling me about it.  I was pretty much prepared to spend as much as necessary at that point, because I perceive the boxed versions of this game to be just that rare.

Make sure you register a good search for them on eBay and have it run daily and email you the results.  That's been invaluable in helping me to find the rarer games.

megoninja1

Postby megoninja1 » January 12th, 2009, 7:59 pm

cool. I really appreciate the detailed info, sorry to hear that some one stole your stuff, that sucks big time, I've always had a slight fear of fire or burglary destroying my collection of vintage games/movies/music etc.

any way thanks again, I will keep an eye out for a copy .

PingvinBlueJeans

Postby PingvinBlueJeans » April 15th, 2009, 2:57 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart][QUOTE=megoninja]excellent,
thanks for the help on that guys. But can any one tell me what sort of price I would looking at for either of them?[/QUOTE]

Well if my experience means anything, boxed/complete editions will bid up to between $250 and $325.
[/QUOTE]

Correct, although neither has turned up complete for quite a while, so expect to pay more.

[QUOTE=megoninja]Do they come along often or not? Price does not necessarily indicate rarity, collectables like this often go for so much because people over estimate the rarity of these things, what I am trying to ask is, will I have to wait years to find a boxed example or will one pop up every few months?
[/QUOTE]
They generally pop up once or twice per year on average (sometimes less, sometimes more). 

[QUOTE=m0zart]I have both of the games in their original boxes, so yes they have covers.  However, the TCM game in its original box is very rare.  They were taken off of the shelves shortly after release due to controversy, then ended up in a lot of bargain bins with just the cart and manual -- no box.  Very few of the original fully boxed games were ever sold.

This is why, of course, I am so happy I have one
Halloween sold a lot more in its original box, but when Wizard went under they also were given the loose cart/manual in a bargain bin treatment.
[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but that's jut not correct.

The Wizard titles were never "pulled" from store shelves...they were never on them to begin with.  When Mystique released their adult titles for the 2600, the games (specifically Custer's Revenge) generated a lot of negative publicity and there were attempts to stop the sale of these games.  By the time Wizard released their horror titles, they had a lot of trouble finding retailers and distributors willing to carry the games.  (I know of at least one long-time Atari collector who knew about the Wizard games at the time of their release but was unable to find copies available for sale anywhere.)  Most copies were probably sold via mail-order.

Neither of the Wizard titles was ever sold loose in bargain bins.  When Wizard shut down, they apparently had a stock of unsold loose cartridges.  These cartridges (which were loose, unlabeled carts without manuals) eventually ended up in the hands of a mail-order company in Ohio called Pleasant Valley Video.  It was PVV who sold these loose cartridges to collectors in the late 80s/early 90s.  (These are the ones which have the title of the game written in magic marker.)

[quote]Ironically, the most valuable Halloween game isn't the one in its original box.  When Wizard ran out of labels, they just put the carts with the manuals together and then wrote "Halloween" across the front of the carts using permanent markers.  That was only done on the last copies of the game without labels, so those are considered more rare and valuable.[/quote]
The loose carts sold by Pleasant Valley Video are probably more rare than the labelled versions, but they are not more valuable...collectors want the originals.  Additionally, there is considerable doubt that the carts sold by PVV were really unsold Wizard stock.  PVV was a crooked operation (who ripped off a lot of people) and the carts they were selling may have been reproductions/bootlegs.  The Wizard games used commonly available PCBs and cartridge shells and would have been relatively easy to reproduce at the time.

Return to “Classic Gaming”