What are your Top Ten SNES games, Critic?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Nicholas Pozega

Postby Nicholas Pozega » February 11th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Here is all of your A+ and straight A SNES games-20 games in all.

Chrono Trigger A+

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, The A+

Super Mario Kart A+

Actraiser A

Aladdin (And for the record Critic, this game was made by CAPCOM, not Gameteck) A

Axelay A

Batman Returns A

Battletoads/Double Dragon A

Donkey Kong Country A

Donkey Kong Country 2 A

Madden NFL '95 A

NBA Jam Tournament Edition A

NHL 94 A

Super Bomberman A

Super Mario All-Stars A

Super Mario World A

Super Metroid A

Super Return of the Jedi A

Super Street Fighter 2 A

Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2 A

So which ten of these 20 games are your top ten, from least to greatest?

Megavolt

Postby Megavolt » February 12th, 2009, 11:25 pm

I just thought I'd point out that the A+ score for Chrono Trigger was from the RPG correspondent Jonathan Hawk and not VGC himself.

I'll also throw in that Super Metroid and DKC2 are easily A+ games, but VGC is a Sega guy, and Sega guys always seem to like Zelda 3 more than Super Metroid.  I'm not sure why that is, but it's something I've noticed over the years.

missingno

Postby missingno » February 13th, 2009, 9:47 am

man, agreed with Donkey Kong Country 2

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » February 13th, 2009, 1:54 pm

[QUOTE=Megavolt]

I'll also throw in that Super Metroid and DKC2 are easily A+ games, but VGC is a Sega guy, and Sega guys always seem to like Zelda 3 more than Super Metroid.  I'm not sure why that is, but it's something I've noticed over the years.[/QUOTE]

Just to throw a wrench into that generalization: I'm a pretty hardcore Sega guy, always have been, and I couldn't bear LTTP past the first dungeon while I find Super Metroid to be one of the greatest games I've ever played.

ManKind

Postby ManKind » February 13th, 2009, 5:18 pm

[QUOTE=Megavolt]I just thought I'd point out that the A+ score for Chrono Trigger was from the RPG correspondent Jonathan Hawk and not VGC himself.

I'll also throw in that Super Metroid and DKC2 are easily A+ games, but VGC is a Sega guy, and Sega guys always seem to like Zelda 3 more than Super Metroid.  I'm not sure why that is, but it's something I've noticed over the years.[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you talking about? I don't really get it about the ''sega guys'' fact. Also super metroid and donkey kong country 2 are far from perfect, there is alot better game on the SNES than these 2

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » February 13th, 2009, 5:21 pm

[QUOTE=ManKind]What the hell are you talking about? I don't really get it about the ''sega guys'' fact. Also super metroid and donkey kong country 2 are far from perfect, there is alot better game on the SNES than these 2
[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you talking about?  No game outside of ALttP is better on the SNES than Super Metroid.

Heh, that was fun!

Megavolt

Postby Megavolt » February 13th, 2009, 5:29 pm

[QUOTE=JasonhasRSI]I'm a pretty hardcore Sega guy, always have been, and I couldn't bear LTTP past the first dungeon while I find Super Metroid to be one of the greatest games I've ever played.
[/QUOTE]
Interesting.  I've never found myself head over heels for LTTP despite all the praise it gets, but a lot of the hardcore Sega fans I've run into seem to think highly of it no matter how overrated they might think the other SNES classics are.  I wonder sometimes if it has to do with EGM having picked Super Metroid as the best game of all time at one point.

JNH

Postby JNH » February 21st, 2009, 4:42 am

I am a Sega and SNK fanatic and LOVED Super Metroid, Mega Man, Dracula X. I'm still considering buying an SNES as many of my friends had (and some still have/play) them.

Though do not buy cartridge only games which means investing in an SNES will cost me quite a bit more than my Neo Geo CD and games cost...thank you SNK for making your system Region Free. I love you.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » February 21st, 2009, 2:31 pm

Yeah there a few things called

Super Mario Kart
F-Zero
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario World
Star Fox

that are 100 times the game Super Metroid  or Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past will ever be.Super Metroid was repetitive at times I found,Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past had some of he most annoying tedious dungeons at times[usually at the beginning of the game thank goodness]

Those 5 had better gameplay,more replay value,and more interesting levels than either of hose 2

How did F-Zero and Star Fox not get A+ is what I'm wondering?

I'm not a SEGA person I'm a Nintega person !!!!!!!

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » February 21st, 2009, 5:28 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]Yeah there a few things called

Super Mario Kart
F-Zero
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario World
Star Fox

that are 100 times the game Super Metroid  or Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past will ever be.[/QUOTE]

Nah, some of those games were good, but none were quite 1/100th as good as either Super Metroid or A Link to the Past.

[QUOTE=N64Dude]Super Metroid was repetitive at times[/QUOTE]

Donkey Kong Country is one of the most repetitive and boring games I've ever played in my life.  I've always wondered what the fuss was about with that game.  I showed some interest in it back in the '90s, and tried to renew it recently, but once again it ended up boring me to tears.

[QUOTE=N64Dude]I found,Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past had some of he most annoying tedious dungeons at times[usually at the beginning of the game thank goodness][/QUOTE]

The first three dungeons (four if you count the castle), i.e. the light world dungeons, were easy and short.  They are meant to be a sampling of the eight or nine dungeons in the dark world.

[QUOTE=N64Dude]Those 5 had better gameplay,more replay value,and more interesting levels than either of hose 2

How did F-Zero and Star Fox not get A+ is what I'm wondering?

I'm not a SEGA person I'm a Nintega person !!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Because they didn't deserve it.  The only real confusion here is why Super Metroid didn't get an A+.

Return to “Classic Gaming”