How about some GameCube love

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » February 16th, 2009, 9:01 pm

GameCube is by far the most underrated console,you can tell Dreamcast is not because topics take up half the board.PS2 was like a skyscraper shaped altar for many. Xbox has this load of Halo fans but GameCube doesn't have any,it's just that lunchbox with kiddy games or now a days the "Old" system.

I for one am a proud GameCube owner and can tell you of many good games for it.It can't quite outdo the Dreamcast,but hey if you don't own a Dreamcast,pick up a GameCube you'll get the same games mostly.

Sonic Adventures 1 and 2,Crazy Taxi,and Skies of Arcadia

Plus all the exclusives you can't go wrong with

Battalion Wars,Metroid Prime,Pikmin,Eternal Darkness,Geist[I actually liked this game],Luigi's Mansion,Sonic Gems Collection,Tales of Symphonia,Donkey Konga,Donkey Kong:Jungle Beat,Super Mario Sunshine,Resident Evil Zero,Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Mario Kart

and better ports

SSX Tricky,Resident Evil 4, Sonic Mega Collection and Soul Calibur II come to mind.

I really hpope this thread doesn't get left out in the cold

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » February 17th, 2009, 4:39 am

I just recenetly got my gamecube, and with the games being not so highly priced anymore , i am looking forward to enjoying building my collection for this system!!

missingno

Postby missingno » February 17th, 2009, 11:36 am

I love the GameCube! It has a wonderful library full of wonderous games. Surely it doesn't exceed the amazement behind NES, SNES, or N64, but it's still very good. You can't go wrong with games like Donkey Konga 1 and 2, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Animal Crossing, F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Super Monkey Ball (didn't play 2 yet), Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin (also didn't play 2, mainly due to its excessive price tag), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Pokemon Collosseum, Pac-Man Vs (multiplayer at best), among many others.
And it just added to the greatness that the Game Boy Player was made, for those too lazy to purchase any of the Game Boy titles.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » February 17th, 2009, 7:16 pm

In my opinion, nintendo has always been on top. They have always had the best exclusives. They have mario, metroid, zelda, fire emblem, starfox, I could go on and on. All Microsoft has is Halo and other fps games. And sony had some great games for ps1 but their exclusives just weren't as good on ps2 (Crash and Tomb Raider just almost lost their appeal.) Mario and zelda have never lost their appeal (except maybe the CD-i abominations.)

KanYozakura

Postby KanYozakura » February 17th, 2009, 9:04 pm

I love the GameCube, but it was by and far the weakest offering of the sixth generation systems. 

Let's see...

*It could push polygons almost as well as the Xbox, but those retarded proprietery mini-discs killed that advantage by making the developer either compress the sound/use grainy FMVs to save space or just split the game onto two discs. 

*Although early GameCubes had progressive scan support, later models dropped it altogether and the cables were/are crazy expensive.  Not a big deal at the time, but with the cease of CRT production it'll be a pain-in-the-ass to get the 'Cube looking its best on a modern display when the other two systems can do it by default.

*While the Nintendo-made exclusives were at the top of their class, they were few and far between with third party developers bringing little that wasn't available on another platform. 

*The lack of DVD support was a huge mistake in gaining early sales; even though the 'Cube was cheaper, I opted for a PS2 to upgrade from VHS, as did the majority of the world.

*Absolutely no online support worth mentioning, and some of the best multiplayer games required freakin' FOUR $100-120 GBAs to play.

With the Wii able to do everything the GameCube could plus more, there's really no point in holding onto it unless you want to use the GBA Player.  Mine's been collecting dust for 2 1/2 years now, while the PS2 and original Xbox still get daily play.

RowdyRodimus

Postby RowdyRodimus » April 2nd, 2009, 1:33 pm

I've had a GC since the midnight launch and I love it.  I think it's the best system Nintendo has put out since the SNES and miles above the Wii.  If for nothing else, the Gameboy player is worth having one.  Not to mention Luigi's Mansion (better than Mario Sunshine IMO), Rogue Squadron and the Day of Reckoning series.

It's just that (according to the poll in the latest Game Infomer) FPS are the most popular type of games and the GC didn't specialize in those.  I don't care for FPS, so for me having mostly 3rd person games was great.  It's funny, but as I get older, I find myself liking the "kiddie" games that I would have laughed at before.  I mean, c'mon, I'm trying to find a copy of Billy Hatcher for crying out loud lol. 

ManKind

Postby ManKind » April 2nd, 2009, 6:20 pm

The nintendo 64 and the nintendo game cube offer as many quality title as the playstation 1 and ps2 (althought the ps2 still have game comming out)

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » April 3rd, 2009, 1:28 am

[QUOTE] It's funny, but as I get older, I find myself liking the "kiddie" games that I would have laughed at before.[/QUOTE]

"When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

I only had a Gamecube that generation, as I generally don't buy that large an amount of new games, still having a large amount of last-generation games I haven't checked out, and not wanting to miss out on the upcoming entries in the big Nintendo franchises, end up with Nintendo's console.
I consider the PS2 to have the best library of it's generation, but I don't regret the console I went with either. The GC had a large number of complete exclusives stemming from Nintendo making so many good games themselves, and is indispensible if you want to really experience the games of that era.

Plus I got both a GC and PS2 now anyway, so it all worked out in the end.

Xbox what?

J Dubs

Postby J Dubs » April 4th, 2009, 10:39 am

I picked up a Gamecube when they were going for $100 with a "pack-in" Zelda collectors disc AND a free NASCAR 2003. Some Best Buy deal, literally! It's always been my "secondary" system that generation, but damn there were some solid titles. Metroid Prime was a blast. Pikmin 2 was just entertaining. F-Zero GX was freakin' intense, I don't care what the critic says! REmake surprised me at being much more than a remake - I actually avoided purchasing it because I played the original too many times.

Now that I have an HDTV, I've been wanting to find some component cables for it... $60+ on eBay for those bad boys! Luckily my 'cube has the right output for it, but still, that's a little on the pricey side...

Anyways, yeah, the GameCube is definitely underrated. I'm still slowly working on my collection, but there definitely were some great games for that little system.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » April 14th, 2009, 12:14 am

Gamecube was actually my go-to system last generation. Sure, the ps2 had the larger abundance of quality games but the great games for the Gamecube were one-of-a-kind experiences for me. I couldn't find a game that matched Pikmin 2 on the ps2. I couldn't find a Metroid Prime or an Animal Crossing for the Xbox. I'll never forget having all-night Ultimate Wrestling matches with my roommates till the break of dawn! A great console that didn't do anything new, but offered me several years worth of great gaming memories! Then again, I was never one to need twenty new games a month.

Return to “Classic Gaming”