How about some GameCube love

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
J Dubs

Postby J Dubs » April 19th, 2009, 10:49 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]My point is GameCube is often overlooked and I mentioned those 3 gory games becuase they get ignored in favor of things like GTA:San Andreas and GTA III and Metal Gear Solid,I was mentioning 3rd party games that no one bought becuase they thought GameCube was only good for Nintendo titles. I could mention more gory ones ( like Geist) but my point wasn't to say it had more.

Okami is among the 6 games I actually enjoyed,and have ever found a game as crappy as London RusHour on GameCube? Have you???

I was talking about how many discs can be stored in the console without a disc read error and so far only GameCube has actually had no problem. What I was talking about had nothing to do with how many discs each game came with or if you could switch in mid-game

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, the GameCube is an often overlooked system with many stellar games. But to dismiss the GTA series or the MGS series is just plain ignorance. Even if you have played them and didn't like them, I would think you would be able to see why so many enjoy them.

As for the disc thing... that is the most random thing I've ever heard about any console. Kind of cool, I guess. Especially if you are bringing it over to a friend's house and you don't want to carry an extra game case with you. Somewhat odd, but whatever...

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » April 20th, 2009, 11:17 am

I apologize if I put you under the impression that I thought this was the only cool feature.

But everyone knows the other features pretty well and have probably used 'em from time to time

I haven't enjoyed one game in the series since Metal Gear for NES (Because Snake's Revenge isn't technically canon,I didn't like the remake for GameCube either).As for GTA,I was always so bored when I wasn't killing,I'm just not usually one for the "sandbox". (I liked GTA IV and Chinatown Wars andthe first one wasn't actually that bad though).But Jak and Daxter is an insult to all platformers everywhere(Blinx did a better job and that is game is no Sonic the Hedgehog).

bluemonkeu

Postby bluemonkeu » April 20th, 2009, 12:52 pm

No you are comparing Blinx to Sonic the Hedgehog?  These two games are targeting completely different sub-genres. 

I myself don't like Metal Gear games or the 3D GTAs.  However, I have the sense to realise that the PS2 has far more to offer than just these.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » April 20th, 2009, 10:15 pm

There are more,but those 2 series are slapped on as the good games like Halo is to Xbox. It's like NES which has quite a lot of good games (still 95% crap sadly) but Super Mario Bros. 3 is the one immediatley slapped on. Or SNES which always seems to have Super Mario World tacked on

I meant to be comparing Blinx to Jak and Daxter,Sonic is way out of Blinx's league anyway.

Good lord this is getting out of hand,well to try to steer this back on topic.

Ever tried Odama? that's one type of game that should be remade seriously who'd of thought a mixture of voice recognition,pinball,and RTS would make such a masterpiece it's too bad this was one of GameCube's last good titles.

Calysma1

Postby Calysma1 » April 20th, 2009, 11:34 pm

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [B]N64Dude[/B]
But Jak and Daxter is an insult to all platformers everywhere[/QUOTE]
I emphatically disagree. While its sequels were definitely a letdown, the original Jak & Daxter is one of the best platformers out there IMO. While it's clearly inspired by Rare's Banjo-Kazooie, I enjoyed Jak & Daxter far more than I did Banjo.

H0M3RC1D4L

Postby H0M3RC1D4L » April 30th, 2009, 7:03 pm

@Rowdy Rodimus I am also an older gamer and frequently find myself looking for those "kiddie" titles...and find that copy of Billy Hatcher...you wont regret it!!!

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 1st, 2009, 2:56 pm

[QUOTE]But to dismiss the GTA series or the MGS series is just plain ignorance. Even if you have played them and didn't like them, I would think you would be able to see why so many enjoy them.[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, I still don't really get it. The Metal Gear Solid games are games that could theoretically be fun, but are bogged to far down by Kojima wanting to do movies instead of video games, and end up just being plain annoying to play. There's the fondation for something interesting there, but there's too little game, and too much movies and talking.

GTA I've always hated. I've given it tons of chances over the years, i've tried to figure out what people see in it, but it al boils down to you being placed in a big, boring city you can "explore" at you leisure, which falls flat due to there being nothing interesting to find anywhere. The gameplay itself involves racing against the clock between checkpoints, which is horrendously annoying since the city is so clumsily designed, there's no map, and you have an overhead view. Occationally, there's some overhead shooting action, but the controls are bad, and the action itself unexciting.

Seriously, what am I missing? 

(not to mention, all I really heard about the game when it was new was "You can go on murder sprees, hee hee", which is admittedly amusing for an hour or so, but it's not like you can't do that in better games as well)

a1

Postby a1 » May 2nd, 2009, 1:47 am

[QUOTE=Adamant]

[QUOTE]But to dismiss the GTA series or the MGS series is just plain ignorance. Even if you have played them and didn't like them, I would think you would be able to see why so many enjoy them.[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, I still don't really get it. The Metal Gear Solid games are games that could theoretically be fun, but are bogged to far down by Kojima wanting to do movies instead of video games, and end up just being plain annoying to play. There's the fondation for something interesting there, but there's too little game, and too much movies and talking.

GTA I've always hated. I've given it tons of chances over the years, i've tried to figure out what people see in it, but it al boils down to you being placed in a big, boring city you can "explore" at you leisure, which falls flat due to there being nothing interesting to find anywhere. The gameplay itself involves racing against the clock between checkpoints, which is horrendously annoying since the city is so clumsily designed, there's no map, and you have an overhead view. Occationally, there's some overhead shooting action, but the controls are bad, and the action itself unexciting.

Seriously, what am I missing? 

(not to mention, all I really heard about the game when it was new was "You can go on murder sprees, hee hee", which is admittedly amusing for an hour or so, but it's not like you can't do that in better games as well)

[/QUOTE]

Um, it sounds like you're describing GTA 1 or 2. GTA 3 and on have maps, and don't have overhead views. The first 2 are much worse than the rest.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » May 2nd, 2009, 7:34 pm

Billy Hatcher was by far the weirdest game by SEGA I've encountered [That is after Segagaga and NiGHTS,don't me wrong both games were awesome but extremely weird]

H0M3RC1D4L

Postby H0M3RC1D4L » May 3rd, 2009, 3:29 am

Segagaga and other titles don't detract from what is good gaming. They may be weird or eccentric, but they are still fun and shouldn't be missed. I can't say the same for many modern games...

Return to “Classic Gaming”