How about some GameCube love

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 15th, 2009, 6:33 pm

The problem with the GameCube is that it didn't carve out a niche in the market.

The PS2 was the all-purpose game system that everybody had. It was the default platform.  The Xbox was the system for hard-core, "high end" types with a little more dough.  Where did that leave the GameCube?  In no-man's land.

steer

Postby steer » April 15th, 2009, 6:53 pm

The 'Gamecube niche' was Nintendo fans, family gaming types (read : kiddie)and people who bought it for Smash Brothers....

That niche was virtually the same size as the Xbox niche and Nintendo actually made money and grew in the Gamcube/GBA era....

Plus, having no reason to push GC at the end of its life, they transferred a lot of games to Wii and really hit the ground running.....so all and all it worked out. MS jumped ship a year earlier, but look where that got them : a rushed console with a high defective rate and warranty issues....

The GC is a fine system, with a fine controller, and probably is a push with Wii as far as disc games go.... but I like Wii a lot better, when you consider their online service, especially the online store, the menu and apps programs, and the controller...

QF

Postby QF » April 15th, 2009, 7:05 pm

I use my Wii now for Gamecube games, but I sure being able to use the GBA player. River City Ransom EX on big TV is retro heaven.

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » April 17th, 2009, 7:00 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]The problem with the GameCube is that it didn't carve out a niche in the market.

The PS2 was the all-purpose game system that everybody had. It was the default platform.  The Xbox was the system for hard-core, "high end" types with a little more dough.  Where did that leave the GameCube?  In no-man's land.
[/QUOTE]
This is how I feel about the Cube.  While it did have some great exclusive games, every GameCube owner you ever run into will rattle off the same damn list of favorite games.

Now with the PS2, you could have a shmup fan, a JRPG fan or a hack-n-slash fan and each will have a completely different pile of what they consider great games.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » April 17th, 2009, 9:20 pm

Oh please,PS2 was RPG's and and games with blood only,I've found maybe 6 good games on PS2

Xbox is practically all Halo and clones of Halo  (with apologies to Oddworld,Project Gotham Racing,and Ninja Gaiden),still that's more good games than PS2

Those people also don't tend to think of 3rd party titles  or even 2nd party like Eternal Darkness,Tales of Symphonia,Star Fox Adventures,Battalion Wars,Skies of Arcadia,Resident Evil Zero,Resident Evil 4.

And GameCube is the only console I can think of where you can have 2 discs inside and still play games (doesn't work with other pop-top lid consoles like Saturn,Dreamcast,or PlayStation)

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » April 18th, 2009, 11:32 am

"Oh please,PS2 was RPG's and and games with blood only,I've found maybe 6 good games on PS2

Xbox is practically all Halo and clones of Halo  (with apologies to Oddworld,Project Gotham Racing,and Ninja Gaiden),still that's more good games than PS2"

How do you honestly expect anyone to take anything you write seriously when you come out with stuff like this?  The PS2 has the broadest spectrum of game types available than any system.  And the only genres the XBox lacked high quality titles in were Japanese RPGs and Puzzle titles.  Just because you don't know about them doesn't mean they don't exist.

thebawwradar

Postby thebawwradar » April 19th, 2009, 12:08 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]Oh please,PS2 was RPG's and and games with blood only,I've found maybe 6 good games on PS2

Xbox is practically all Halo and clones of Halo  (with apologies to Oddworld,Project Gotham Racing,and Ninja Gaiden),still that's more good games than PS2

Those people also don't tend to think of 3rd party titles  or even 2nd party like Eternal Darkness,Tales of Symphonia,Star Fox Adventures,Battalion Wars,Skies of Arcadia,Resident Evil Zero,Resident Evil 4.

And GameCube is the only console I can think of where you can have 2 discs inside and still play games (doesn't work with other pop-top lid consoles like Saturn,Dreamcast,or PlayStation)

[/QUOTE]

I dont get this post at all...

J Dubs

Postby J Dubs » April 19th, 2009, 12:50 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]Oh please,PS2 was RPG's and and games with blood only,I've found maybe 6 good games on PS2

[/QUOTE]

Wow... I feel like I'm on an IGN board while reading this post. The PS2 has the largest library of games. If you can't find something on that, old or new, you aren't looking hard enough. What about the Sony games like Jak & Daxter, Rachet & Clank, etc? RE 4 was released on it. Okami? SotC? I could go on. It's funny you mention the PS2 has too many RPGs and violent games when you mention 2 RPGs and 3 gory games for the GC.

I don't have an XBox, so I can't comment on that.

You are right, the Cube has some great games. I have absolutely no regrets with purchasing a Cube nor with any game I have for it.

As for the 2 disc thing, what are you talking about? There were multiple disc games for every system you mentioned, and it was entirely possible to switch discs mid-game, even with the Dreamcast.

Sorry for the rant, I just felt compelled to respond to your fanboy-esque post. I love the Cube too, but when someone makes stuff up and is being hypocritical, I have to call you out.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » April 19th, 2009, 7:05 pm

My point is GameCube is often overlooked and I mentioned those 3 gory games becuase they get ignored in favor of things like GTA:San Andreas and GTA III and Metal Gear Solid,I was mentioning 3rd party games that no one bought becuase they thought GameCube was only good for Nintendo titles. I could mention more gory ones ( like Geist) but my point wasn't to say it had more.

Okami is among the 6 games I actually enjoyed,and have ever found a game as crappy as London RusHour on GameCube? Have you???

I was talking about how many discs can be stored in the console without a disc read error and so far only GameCube has actually had no problem. What I was talking about had nothing to do with how many discs each game came with or if you could switch in mid-game

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » April 19th, 2009, 7:09 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]I was talking about how many discs can be stored in the console without a disc read error and so far only GameCube has actually had no problem. What I was talking about had nothing to do with how many discs each game came with or if you could switch in mid-game[/QUOTE]

Basically, you're bringing up a rather useless "feature" of putting one disc over the top of the other one and not having the machine unable to read the first disc.  It adds absolutely no value whatsoever to the experience.  I sincerely doubt Nintendo ever tested for such a thing, or would ever support the scenario either.

Honestly, when you bring that up as one of the highlights of the Gamecube, it makes even fans of the machine balk.  It indicates that you didn't have more important features to bring up.

Add that to your almost categorical dismissal of one of the greatest consoles of all time, and it really adds up to someone who is more like Kim than he chooses to admit ... even if you have been coming here "since Middle School".

Return to “Classic Gaming”