Killer Instinct Gold (N64)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Luke

Postby Luke » February 25th, 2009, 2:46 am

I recently decided to break out my Nintendo 64 since I found a decent third-party controller for it (same shape as the original controller, just without the annoying handles on both sides).

While going through my somewhat limited collection of N64 games, I found Killer Instinct Gold and elected to play that since it was one that I played quite a bit back in the day. But when I finally started playing it, I suddenly rediscovered why I was intially disappointed by it and why I never fully enjoyed this game - the gameplay and controls often looks and feels kinda sluggish.. almost to the point where it's dreadfully boring!

Now since I just finished playing Street Fighter 2: Turbo on my SNES, I decided just for the hell of it to see if there was any kind of speed control in this game.. and sure enough, there is! I never knew this!! I know it seems really stupid since it's right there in the options menu but for some reason I never took notice and bothered with it.

So after playing around and trying out all the different game speeds - Slow, Normal, Fast, Ultra.. I finally decided to stick with "Ultra" speed since that seemed best. And wow, the gameplay and animation looks and flows SO much better now! The controls even seem better/looser, whereas they seemed kinda tight and often unresponsive before.

I highly recommend trying "Ultra" speed on Killer Instinct Gold, if you haven't before. The difference is like night and day, in my opinion.

missingno

Postby missingno » February 25th, 2009, 12:08 pm

I have a third party controller that fits that description, as well as a very poorly shaped one, and they both actually freeze the actual game when plugged in.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » February 26th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Killer Instinct Gold was a let down,I don't tend to say this but I preferred the SNES version although technically Gold is Killer Instinct 2 and SNES Killer Instinct is Killer Instinct but still.

The graphics were great,my problem was it was too easy and then it was hard enough to compare with Battletoads.

Return to “Classic Gaming”