Castlevania Chronicles (PS1)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Tourian

Postby Tourian » May 6th, 2009, 5:01 pm

How do you guys think this stacks up to the other "original style" entries in the series?  Is it worth the $30-40 it takes to grab on ebay?

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 6th, 2009, 7:29 pm

If you're really in the mood for some classic style castlevania it will satisfy.  That being said, its not nearly as good as the original, Castlevania III, Super Castlevania or even Bloodlines. 

I haven't played it in a really long time though.  I'll boot it up tonight to see if my memories of the game are correct...

If you're skeptical about the high prices you could juse buy it on the Playstation Network.  I think it costs about $10.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 7th, 2009, 12:50 am

OK I just got done playing.  This game is MUCH better than I remember.  Perhaps when I first got it during the Playstation era I couldn't appreciate it, but now...I'm real happy to own it.

The disc has two versions of the same game.  There is the original X68000 computer version and an "enhanced" version called "Arrange mode".  So what are the difference?  The Arrange mode is the same game with some tiny graphical enhacements, some new (worse) music and the main character now has purple hair.  Perhaps the biggest change in the arrange mode game is that when hit, you don't go flying left or right...you kind of hover in the spot where you got hit.  This prevents ALOT of cheap deaths.  Other than that the original version on the disc is the way to go.  Its classic Castlevania through and through.  It feels like Castlevania 1.5 for the NES!  Several stages are remixed from the original game so it feels familiar, yet different at the same time.  You want old-school difficulty?  This game has it in spades.  Want to replay whole levels after the boss fight?  Yep, this game forces you to do that too. 

Luckily the game has a save feature and you can save between levels.  This makes the brutal difficulty somewhat more tolerable.

Is the game worth $30-$40...it depends on how bad you want to play a "new" oldschool style Castlevania.  If I saw the game on Ebay for $25-$30 I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. 

ГРИ

Postby ГРИ » May 7th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Castlevania Chronicles is probably the best iteration of Castlevania 1 (that is, when comparing it to the original and Super Castlevania IV). So if you like those, you'll probably like this one more.

However, it's considerably tougher than the other two versions and has worse graphucs compared to SCIV. So if you're into gritting your teeth constantly ...

And it has an ice stage! What more could you want?

QF

Postby QF » May 7th, 2009, 11:18 pm

I always wanted this. Can you jump on stairs?

Tourian

Postby Tourian » May 8th, 2009, 6:26 pm

Thanks for the info guys!  I am on a little "old school" Castlevania kick right now.  Just about finished with the awesome Super Castlevania, which I am playing through for the first time (I know, what took me so long?), just got Bloodlines in the mail the other day, and plan on replaying the original Rondo of Blood on PSP as well as the NES games.  Sounds like I need to add Chronicles to the collection sooner or later too.

ГРИ

Postby ГРИ » May 10th, 2009, 3:47 pm

[QUOTE=QF]I always wanted this. Can you jump on stairs?
[/QUOTE]

No jumping!

Return to “Classic Gaming”